Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Helicopter Starting/Charging System 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

raptor6458

Electrical
Dec 5, 2007
MY

Hi guys,

We were tasked to design an offshore platform with helideck. Client specified in the bid work (but without a specification)that a Helicopter Starting/charging system be installed in the platform with a battery system of 28.8volts & 420Ah (ampere-hour). Our predicament is that there is no vendor available for this helicopter system in the locality we are working. Can some of you guys please direct me to any website link that offers this kind of system. This is our first tme that a client asked for a helicopter starting system. The first thing that came to our minds is that this is a UPS system. Unfortunately client wanted a vendor that really supplies this system to various aeronautical company. What we are looking for are vendors that have proven capabilities, know how, that can supply and have customer support for the system.

Appreciate all the help.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

HI RAPTOR - I AGREE WITH THE OTHER GUYS - AM OLD RETD. A+P NOW - BUT MY COMPANY WAS THE HOBART IMPORTER FOR MANY YRS. IN AUSTRALIA - FORGET BATTERIES - GET STD. HOBART GPU 600 - BASICALLY A LARGE T.R.U. - AND POWER IT WITH THE OIL RIG INPUT A.C. POWER - THEY HAVE 50 + 60 HZ TYPES - THEN YOU CAN SPOOL UP ANY 28.5 V. D.C. TURBINE HELO - UP TO 2000A. AVAILABLE ON INTERMITTENT BASIS - PLS PROVIDE SOME PROTECTION FROM THE SALT ATMOSPHERE AND STILL ALLOW PLENTY OF COOLING AIRFLOW . CALL HOBART IN TROY - OHIO.
LARGER OIL RIG HELOS MAY ALSO NEED 208V X 400 HZ 3 PH - OFTEN CALLED 115V. - BUT THAT'S ONLY THE V. FROM PH. TO N. - 208V. IS PH. TO PH. - HOBART HAVE THESE ALSO .
THE SINTERED PLATE VENTED NI CAD BATTERIES THAT ARE O.E.M. ON MOST OIL RIG HELOS ARE NOT DESIGNED TO BE RE CHARGED FROM A G.P.U. = GROUND POWER UNIT .
CHRISTIE MAKE A REFLEX CHARGER / ANALYZER CALLED RF-80K FOR THAT PURPOSE . CALL M.A.I. IN LAKE FOREST S. CA.
THE CHIEF ENGINEER WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR MAINTAINING THIS HELO WILL KNOW THE NAMES HOBART + CHRISTIE WELL .
ALL THE BEST J.C. IN THE LAND OF OZ .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back