Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Helideck Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlas0821

Electrical
Apr 30, 2007
I am to do a lighting calc on a helideck. The floodlight that I am to use is made by ORGA Offshore. The link below is the light I am going to use:

I called ORGA to see if they had the photometric file (.ies) for this particular floodlight and they did not.

So my question is that do any of you know of a floodlight that is equivalent to this one and has a photometric file for me to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If a lighting vendor does not provide .ies files for it's products... it doesn't get my business...

I'm not familiar with that particular type of lighting, but I imagine you should be able to find some kind of generic .ies file typical for that lamp/fixture combination.

If the vendor is unable to help you with obtaining the the info, then I'd say your better of finding a new vendor...

I agree with you guys about this company not being able to provide the file. I am not very impressed with them so far. I spoke with a person in their Houston office and didn't get much help. They directed me to a person in their England office. That's where I got a short email saying they couldn't provide such a file and didn't give me any alternatives. I am not a lighting expert, but I would think that any Lighting company would have these files. I would also think that it would be a standard that they must have these. Not sure though.

I will have to see if I really need to go with this company for the helideck light. I was told this was the light that was going to be used, but don't know if it is set in stone that I need to go with ARGO. Thanks for you input!

Some comments:

> The datasheet refers to a design standard for helideck lighting that they supposedly adhere to.

> More importantly, they're numb-nuts for not having the IES files, but they're not the manufacturer of the bulb. The manufacturer of the bulb should DEFINITELY have the IES file. You should query ORGA as to the brand of bulb used and contact the manufacturer directly. It's even likely that the bulb used is a sufficiently common one that it might already be included in whatever light analysis program you use.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

IRStuff,

The IES file doesn't just describe the lamp (bulb??), it describes the housing and optics too to represent the overall performance of the luminaire. They are specific to each design.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

The document they refer to CAP 437 is a UK Civil Aviation Authority document for offshore helicoptr landing areas.
If the helicopter platform is licensed by the CAA this is the document that has to be followed.
You can download a copy, free, from Chapter 4 section 3 refers to lighting

If the CAA are involved you may find they will only talk o the helicopter landing site operator not any contractors. At least that is how they operate for airfield lighting.

The picture of the lamp assembly basically shows a box with a flat window with what apears to be reflectorized bulbs. The box appears to be primarily an environmental housing, with little effect on the lighting performance.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Update,

I received this response from ORGA, who IS the manufacturer of this Xenon Helideck Floodlight (35W):

"Thank you for the e-mail below. Please note that Orga are the manufacturer of this item, however we do not have this type of information available as it is not a request that we have been asked for before."

Hmmmm.... This sounds a bit suspicious. I'm not sure what the reason would be that they wouldn't have that information. Maybe there is a reason for not needing it, but I wouldn't know.

Regardless of whether or not they are using a reflector type lamp to provide the distribution, they should have the IES files. How in the world do they know how well it does what it needs to do without that?

That being said, if you can find out the lamp part number you should be able to get a photometric file from the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back