Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello all, which part of ASME is

Status
Not open for further replies.

parsomash1977

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2012
US
Hello all,

which part of ASME is talking about longitudinal crack on a boiler tube. We got a 4-5 inches crack on down comers side and I need to follow ASME code to repair that. Your advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASME Code is not a repair code, it is a construction code so no specific guidance is provided for in-service repairs.

For in-service repairs of boilers you need to folow the National Board Inspection Code (NB-23 publication).

If this is a waterwall tube and yuo have an axial crack, I would replace the tube section with a dutchman (new tube) butt welded on each end to the existing tube away from the damage.

Use a qualified welding procedure based on material, and perform a post repair non-destructive test (x-ray) or other surface NDT.

Also, removing the failed tube section for a dutchman repair will allow you to determine what caused the axial crack. I would bet it is either corrosion fatigue crack propagation or short term overheat (axial thin-lipped split).

Can you tell us more about this watertube boiler such as manufacturer, type, year build, MAWP, heating tube and superheater surface areas. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back