Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hello Engineers I want to know, Wh 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They are synonymous to me.

Perhaps, like bolt/screw there is a technical difference. Where I work, we do a plain bearing assembly and the bushing is the stationary part and the sleeve is the rotating part. But that could just be our habit.

Generally, I'd say the terms are interchangeable.

In my mind, when I think of a bushing it is a device used to protect or modify a housing, such as a hardened drill bushing or a threaded insert. When I think of a sleeve, it is device used to lubricate or reduce friction between parts. However, I would not say that somebody referring to a "bronze bushing" was wrong, though it fits what I consider a "sleeve" or plain bearing better.

-- SirPhobos

There are many definitions depending on where they are used. I agree with above that they can be same thing called either sleeve or bushing.

However, in pump industry, bushing is a stationary component of pump and sleeve is attached to shaft (it rotates). So, in short, bushing can be stationary and sleeve can be rotating.

Thanks all,

That is my information which I am finding on the large internnet world. So much knowledge!

TAI NGUYEN MECHANICAL ONE MEMBER CO., LTD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back