Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hello everyone. What can I do to become an Automotive Engineer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDV201

Mechanical
May 3, 2011
US
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. It is very nice to meet you. I hope I can get some advice and feedback. I graduated as a double major in Mechanical and Material Science engineering in June 2010.

Currently, I am a Mechanical Engineer and have been doing a lot of design work. To cut it short, I had an interview for a Mechanical Engineer at a big company which researches and develops bi-fuel systems and engines in alternative fuels. I made it past the second interview to barely lose out to someone that has been in the Automotive industry for awhile. The manager said that he thinks I'm a highly desirable candidate and would like to hire me in the future.

My main QUESTION: What can I do to strengthen my experience and skills to get into this industry?

At my University I did 3 research projects that involved engines, one being the FSAE project. It seems so hard to get into this industry and I greatly desire to. I'm still working as a design engineer in the Aerospace industry. Anyone have some mentoring advice? I'd greatly appreciate it.

I was thinking of maybe trying to find a mechanic that would allow me to volunteer and work for free on weekends to assemble and disassemble cars. Thank you for reading such a long post.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back