Hello folks, My contractor done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemal Chauhan

Mechanical
Jan 24, 2024
IN
Hello folks,

My contractor done SAW welding repair By SMAW welding processin Storage tank bottom and Shell girth weld,in section ix where its mentioned to support my statement or how can i expressed my opinion them by ASME section IX clause?

Regards,
HC.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have they submitted a WPS for their SMAW procedure. If their SMAW procedures satisfy all the required essential variables per ASME Section IX, why not let them use it? (unless the job was bid T&M without a NTE number, them that may have been an error to accept such a bid)

**Edit to clarify that SAW is commonly used for bottom plate welds as it is generally seen as a quicker process, hence basis of my T&M comment above. However for repair on a girth weld SAW is not typical as the welding machine for girth welds are usually set up on 3 o'clock or dualhead rigs that use rollers to ride along the top sheet that is being welded. Using one of these rig to repair a lower shell course ring would not be practical, and SMAW or FCAW would be the most common options.**

I understand the above to say- your contractor repaired SAW welds using SMAW process- and you're looking for some reason that would prohibit that?
I would assume your contractor would do the repair the most expeditious way using any approved procedures, and would think that was appropriate.
I'm not sure but I think our SAW weld procedures actually specify repair by SMAw, etc.

Check the integrity of the repaired welded portion using conventional NDEs.
Fill up the deviation form or write a deviation report and get it approved by all concerned. You may even add a hydro-test to get everybody on board.
Include the above in the history card of the tank.

DHURJATI SEN
Kolkata, India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back