Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hello. Some help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan5555

Automotive
Jun 7, 2024
US
I'm working on a little project nothing big . I'm in need of a two wire wire connector that is at least ip68 or if possible ipx8 waterproof rated.

I've spent days looking for this on the net I can't seem to find it, surprisingly.

I'm almost at a point where I'm thinking about creating my own, but I kinda don't wanna do that, sounds like too much effort for a tiny little thing.

Wires will be about 14 gauge the outside sheath of the wires will be about 1/4", the connector doesn't have to necessary be this exact size but relatively close

Also, it needs to be the type of connector where I can disconnect it without having to use a screwdriver or any other tool.

I've attached an example of roughly what I'm after but the one in the pic is not easily disconnect able, plus I want the highest quality I can get..

I'm sure such a thing exists I just don't know the name of it..

Any recommendations are appreciated.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=839ff3f7-220c-4efe-a404-79d380e03091&file=61DZ-zEQOmL.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

plug_1_ozhpon.png
plug_2_hrh7hm.png

spec_1_m6lu9o.png
spec_2_dchiyo.png

Catalogue Excerpt

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Please define "disconnect it without having to use a screwdriver or any other tool"

(a) you want to be able to unplug the connectors from each other.

(b) you want to remove the connector from the wires.

I suggest a search for "SD20 2pin Waterproof Connector" if the former.

IP65 means the degree of protection against accidental contact and ingress of dust along with water jets from any direction. Similar to but not the same as NEMA 4,

You need to learn how to phrase better search terms, example:

IP65 electrical connectors seal the pins from dust and water, as well as the housing.
NEMA 4 plugs seal the housing, but not the pins.

Some automotive connectors are IP65 or better, and might be suitable depending on application voltage.

More information = better answers

A quick look at this reveals some interesting issues.

1) It seems IP 68 is rather vague in terms of water ingress, noting that it is regarded as just being "better" than IP67. Hence most suppliers seem to quote long term submergence to 1.5m only. What is your water depth or condition?

2) Most suppliers seem to use O ring seals in a push together system with minimal friction. The axial strength to prevent disconnection comes from a screwed connection. How hard is that to undo? Why is this not good enough for you? Unless you can secure the cables to prevent any axial force on the connector you need something to hold the two parts together.

3) No one seems to make something which can be "make and break" multiple times. How often / how many times do you want to unplug one thing from another?

4) Most seem to be relatively low voltage / amps. What is your requirement?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back