Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Catia's dimensions do not correspond to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opua

Automotive
Aug 16, 2023
IT
catia_qt9zeo.jpg

Hello everyone, I realized that Catia's dimensions do not correspond to reality. As the dimensions increase, the error increases accordingly, I can't understand if it depends on the settings relating to the drawing or the model. Can anyone help me to solve this problem?
Many thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What are you measuring, a plotted drawing or something on the screen? If it's a plotted drawing, there can be only one of two issues, either the drawing was NOT plotted 1:1, or what you have is a manually entered dimension. Now I'm not familiar with Catia, but with the systems that I've worked with, there was a way, thought it was generally frowned upon, where the user could edit the text of a dimension creating a non-scale dimension or manual dimension. That being said, we also had tools where by we could interrogate a drawing to see if there were any dimensions which had been edited in this manner.

Did you check any of the other dimensions? If this is the only one that doesn't match your measurement, then it would seem that you're dealing with a manually edited dimension.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

rule: DO NOT SCALE DRAWING

that said if you need a drawing to be scale 1:1
[ul]
[li]make sure the view is scale 1:1[/li]
[li]the printing is also scale 1:1[/li]
[/ul]

Also make sure dimension are not fake or rounded... check the dimension value in 3D if it is projected geometry.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

As others have said, either the plot settings are wrong, the scales are wrong (view and/or drawing), or that's actually a fake dimension. This thread covers how to find fake dimensions in Catia: thread560-447783

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back