Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP - Concerning GIBBS and FEATURE CAM ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

draymorris

Industrial
Feb 10, 2003
US
We are about to make a cnc software change to either Gibbs or Feature cam. The Gibbs reps came here yesterday for a demo, and today will be Feature cam's demo. I was able to come prepared for the Gibbs reps (had many questions and concerns), but have not had as much time to research Feature cam.

If you could give ANY input on Feature cam or Gibbs (both positive/negative)is very highly appreciated.

If it helps, the type of work we do here is plastic injection molding (concept, design, manufacturing, and production).

FYI - Gibbs presentation: I presented questions and concerns yesterday primarily from information found here within this forum (mostly the negative addressed) to see if they (Gibbs) were aware and if so what actions have been taken to correct the issues. They will call me sometime today to give a update on these concerns.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oh, also one other bit of info: We currently are using Mechanical Desktop, but most probably will be converting to Inventor...........

Any inputs and/or issues on Inventor is also highly desired as well......

Thank You..................

Be ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY SURE that they provide you with a post that actually works for your machine(s). Do not let the salesman out the door until they can provide you with this. If they show up and demonstrate how fantastic their software is and how wonderful their toolpaths generation capabilities are, none of this is any good unless you can make chips on the machine.

INSIST on a post for each machine that you have and INSIST that it works to your satisfaction.

Please don't ask me how I know this.

Thank You JBEL for your input. I definately will take your suggestion and implement it.

Although Gibbs appeared very impressive (reading from responses within the internet), their demo was absolutely terrible. Feature Cam's demo seemed to answer many of the issues we are concerned about. It looks as though we are leaning towards Feature Cam.

Does anyone have any negative's with Feature Cam ?????

Dray,

Just curious.... what criteria did you utilize to pare your selection down to Feature CAM and Gibbs? $$$, features, ease of programming, etc

Jbel,

We had both Gibbs and Feature Cam in here for a demo. The Gibbs reps were totally unprepared and were not able to fully convert (or open) all the different types of files that we asked (our customers use a variety of cad softwares and over the years iges files sometimes work fine, and other times dont). Feature cam was able to open some files that Gibbs couldnt (same files were given to both reps). In addition, Feature Cams "automatic" tool selection/type was a pretty impressive bell and whistle. I also liked the fact that when viewing the codes, Feature Cam was able to inform the operator exactly what that particular line code was doing (ie... pocket, wall,...)..

Now honestly, I am the one who origionally thought that Gibbs was the one for us. I still believe that Gibbs may be the better CAM package, but am very disapointed with the Reps who visited and their ability to answer each and all questions. They did not handle themselves in a professional manner at all when visiting.

Do you have a preference, or experience with any? and why?

We use Mastercam and I am a newbie at it (just over a year of bangin the keys). We upgraded from their version 6 to version 9 last summer and WOW what a difference! We make forge dies and I have been able to optimize toolpaths for jobs we run frequently and reduce cut time by more than 50% versus the old programs. Some of this is the software and some of it is the guy before me was much more of an engineer than someone who knew how to make chips.

Anyway, I think it is easy to use and not that difficult to learn, and if your programmer quits, there are tons of Mastercam programmers out there but I dont know if the same is true for Gibbs or the others. Plus the support network is extensive and there are great users groups online.

let me know how the Surfcam evaluation goes!

I agree with what Jbel says about the posts. We've had Gibbs for a significant amount of time and still don't have all our posts (5). We purchased our posts from the sales rep. and should have gotten them straight from Gibbs. Surfacing is tough. Doing molds, this should be high on the list for a demo or two to be completely done in your faciity and check the code for errors!! Mastercam would be a worth while demo also.

Nate,

I have found that modifying posts for Mastercam is rather easy. All I do is save a backup and then go in and fiddle around. If the changes do the things I want, then it's a keeper otherwise I will just delete and go back to the backup file. Have you tried any post mods yourself???

jbel,

Gibbs doesn't allow you to modify their posts, period. I can email the posts to Gibbs and they'll fix them for free, but we paid the Rep. to provide good posts. They have an Addin called Posthaste. An aftermarket post and editor, but this is a very basic post editor with very basic output. Chances are we'll have to go to Gibbs to get them finished.

Smartcam allowed me to change all my posts, also. I used one of the last "DOS" versions of Mastercam. The post editor was nice back then.

I have to chim in here. We use both MasterCAM and Gibbs. I like MasterCAM for all the reasons listed above but mostly the customer support for solving problems. We use Pro/E as a CAD package and it's my mission to integrat those two for a more seamless process. I've also taking a class using TechSoft which as I understand it more popular in Europe.

On the CAD end of things I would stay away from Inventor they're years behind the technology curve with respect to Pro/E, CATIA and SolidWorks. Keep us updated

"Gibbs doesn't allow you to modify their posts, period."

How can they stop you? A post is nothing more than a script. There are a few languages used by most everyone. It may take some time to learn but it certainly can be done. Showing my ignorence to Gibbs Cam. Had a demo once and also looked at it at last IMTS, wasn't impressed.

Cncprogrammer,

Good point. There may be something in the license agreement that specifically forbids modification, if only to increase the resellers cashflow and increase the users TCO. That being said, if I were not able to get satisfactory post mods from the reseller, making my own sure would be tempting, but not worth it if there were a chance of getting nailed. The price of post mods vs. the price of getting caught breaking license agreement? Paying for post mods definitely cheaper.

This brings up the question, if I can't even make my own post mods when necessary, and I must WAIT for the reseller and then PAY for them, doesn't this decrease my competitive edge and increase my costs simultaneously? Sounds like a double whammy!!!

Gibbs users.... Please chime in on this and set me straight. Am I out of line or are these statements accurate?????

Gibbs posts can't be humanly read when using programs such as MSWord, Excel, Predator, Editplus. If someone knows what will read the post, then tell me and I'll go play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back