Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Dimensions V5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUDDY48

Automotive
Dec 8, 2004
CA
After editing links in a detail drawing to change the part model: the dims turn red. Is there a way to relink or save the dims, or does the drawing have to be redimensioned.
Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you saying that you edited the catpart? Did you replace your sketch with a new one? Did you delete lines/arcs in your sketch and create new for your solid? If you did, then you are dimensioning to new geometry, therefore you need to recreate the dimensions.

If you just edited lines and arcs in an existing sketch, the dimensions should have been fine IF you dimensioned to the solid model.

More information is needed to know what your problem really is.

Good luck.

the diemnsions keep link with a geometry, independently of its size or position, so if you change hte size or position of the geom it will be update it when you update your design, but if the geometry where it was pointing desappears, or is replaced by another geometry, then the link gets broken

have fun

Thanks a million guys. I actually brought in a new model the old one is gone. I'm using the same drawing layout and all the views came in fine; some dimensions are black but most are red (Fusia)Ive always known that the links were broken (dim to part) however I was just wondering if anyone new if there was a way with the latest release, whether you can re-link old dimensions and reuse them with the new model which only really changed in some areas, but is mostly the same as the old model. I am just trying to save some time instead of re-dimensioning the whole role size drawing.(because the deadline for delivery is critical). Thanks for your quik responses, It is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Why the design guy decided to make a whole new model instead of editing the sketches? I have no idea.

When I started on V% this was my first question, seems like a very simple thing but no one here could answer it. SO I went to the help docs and found it. The function is called re-routing dimensions. You have to repick both legs of the dimension, but its great becuase you don't lose any notes or tolerances on the dim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back