Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Help finding a vendor for this welding wire liner 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra46

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2003
US
I have been unsuccessful trying to find a vendor for this welding wire liner. I know I can buy it from a welding supply shop like praxair but they only offer it with ends appropriate for installing it in a particular MIG gun.

Anyone know what this type of item is called? Maybe something like wire wound flexible conduit? I not sure what buzzword will get me results.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the term for that is conduit liner.

Google returned a lot of suppliers, but you haven't give a make of your machine.

Good hunting.

Thanks for the replies so far.

The one in my photo is from a hand held Miller MIG torch. We are putting it on a machine we are designing.

Is it actually a spiral wound conduit or is it just a ordinary spring wound with closed coils?
The photo looks a lot like a spring, but it could just have a big burr from cutting hiding the interlocking parts. If it is just a wound spring, they are easy to find or have made. You call it a "liner", so it may not be interlocking, its primary function may be controlling bend radii, hence a spring.

Timelord

It is not interlocking like flex conduit used in the electrical industry. It is made from elliptical cross section spring steel.

I only called it a liner as that's what welders call them. A more generic term would be conduit. It is used to guide welding filler wire to the torch tip.

your local supply shop should also have this on a roll (100m or similar).
so you can cut it to length and crimp your own connections/connectors onto the ends.

Praxair markets a reduced friction liner called Ultraliner. It consists of a series of guide wheels oriented at different angles inside of the liner tube throughout the length. We have used it for robotic, semi-auto as well as manual welding machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back