Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Help finding current OSHA reg for insulated piping to protect workers in manufacturing environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAeng

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2010
US
Hello,

I'm trying to locate the current OSHA regulation for protecting workers from hot steam piping i.e. height for required insulation, distance required from walkways, etc. It's in a food manufacturing environment.

I did a Google search and tried searching on OSHA's site but found only historical regulations.

I'm hoping someone might be able to point me to the current applicable regulation.

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Typically, the hot insulation on the steam piping is to save the heat energy at all the locations per the engineering design practice. The OSHA may only concern that any hot surface with a temperature greater than 140 deg-F, or 60 deg-C, should be guarded or covered with insulation if it is potentially to be contacted by a person.

Thank you. I agree that about 140F and above should be covered, but I couldn't find anything that says it directly. I was hoping to find something to present to help my case when I make the suggestion to insulate a good amount of uninsulated steam piping that is within reach in production areas. This is the best thing I could find (see pic below). If anyone knows of anything more I could present please advise.

Screenshot_2023-11-05_181744_rodmce.png

Thanks a lot

This link mentions the same OSHA regulation as in pierreick's second link, but it also mentions ASTM C1055 as a standard for surface temperature limits, and also that California's OSHSB adopted the 140°F surface temperature into their safety regulations.

If the steam piping or whatever it's attached to is covered by any standards/codes, then it may be worthwhile to look at them for a temperature limit as well. For instance, NFPA 86 (which covers ovens and furnaces and what I'm more familiar with) specifies a maximum surface temperature for unguarded surfaces of 160°F (for personnel safety), and it also has similar temperature limits for fire safety reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back