Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help finding regulator for floor fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhiryder89

Student
Feb 9, 2021
FI
I bought a pretty powerful 20" floor fan a little while ago to help circulate air in my basement. I don't really need it for that anymore, and I'd like to be able to use it just as an extra fan on hot days. It has 3 settings, but even on the lowest one it's strong enough to blow art off the wall and too loud to watch TV around. Is there some kind of regulator or something I could buy or put together to reduce the power? Preferably something I could plug directly in between the fan and the power source, but I could also hardwire something if needed. I do have some experience with wiring (mostly guitar pickups), I just don't understand the science very well and usually work from some kind of template.

The fan is 120V, 60Hz frequency, 160W power, and I'm not sure what specs I would need in a regulator.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear friend;
This is a site for working professionals, not high school students.
You may try the student forum.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

240 V/120 V, 200 VA
If that transformer is used on a 120 Volt circuit due to availability, it will be down rated to 100VA.
100 VA may be enough for a 120 Volt fan running on 60 Volts.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back