Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help for small fishing Tackle Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolv1

Automotive
Sep 21, 2006
AE
Hi;

I came across your site and was wondering if you may be able to help me or point me
in the right direction. My brother and I own a small fishing tackle.
We supply the world's strongest split rings. They are used extensively by Lure manufactures
who make lures targeted at the larger fresh water game fish such as Muskie. Currently, we
plate the rings in a gold Cadmium Chromate. This gives the rings sufficient corrosion resistance
for fresh water but does not hold up well at all in salt water. Do you have, or know of any plating
process that would come close to the corrosion resistance of stainless steel? Our goal is to
expand into the salt water market so corrosion resistance is a must.

Our supplier tried making our split rings out of
Stainless Steel but they do not have anywhere near the strength of our non-stainless steel rings. Are there different grades or types of Stainless which may are stronger than others?

Thanks for your time.

Joe Trattner

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are many alloys of stainless, some are harder than others. Unfortunately the most corrosion resistant one, called "316", is relatively soft. Harder alloys seem to have incrasing problems with seawater. If you can't get a steel alloy that supplies sufficient strength with adequate corrosion resistance, you might consider titanium. They make submarines out of the stuff- although its a bit pricey, the part you need is small, and as Ti is being used in everything from bicycles to golf clubs nowadays, maybe you can find what you need for a price competitive with plating steel rings with something exotic.

No one recommended the some pretty obvious solutions. First, you don't need to use stainless at the annealed strength level. You get cold-worked 304 or 316 with very high yield and tensile strength. Seat belt anchors are stainless cold-worked to over 250,000 PSI yield strength.
Second, there are new stainless called duplex which are corrosion resistant in sea water and have over 60,000 PSI yield strength in the annealed condition.
With either of these options, you can skip the plating.

what about zinc plating?? should hold up for quite awile. I have many rings, pins, etc. that we use on ocean going tugboats. Zinc good for quite a while, and does not care about nicks like SS does. why don't you do some experiments with differant systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back