Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Future Engineering Student Lost And Confused 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewright33

Mechanical
May 31, 2011
US
Here is my situation:

I am currently a soldier in the US Army, I am 21, and I want to be a mechanical engineer. My dad was a mechanic, but I have little to no technical experience. I get out of the army in a year, and am planning to go to Oklahoma to pursue my degree. However, I have a few issues:
1) I want to work while I am pursuing my degree, and I want to work in an area which relates to mechanical engineering. Anyone have any recommendations? Where to start, what to pursue? I have looked into being a machinist, but I am unsure whether or not it is a deviation from engineering.
2) Anyone have any information on apprenticeships and/or internships in Oklahoma for trade skill jobs? Is it something I should pursue?

I realize I sound like an idiot here, but I need some advice and a direction in which to go. I don't know whether to just work for a min wage job while in college and get my degree or get a technical skill first or what. I will have money to just pay for college and a house but I need to have a job when I get out, and other than job qualification for an unrelated job which I do in the army, I have very little on my resume. Please, anyone with any helpful tips or hints would be greatly appreciated! And the sooner the better. Thanks so much~

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My point is your going to spend nearly a $100,000 on your Engineering Education and now you want to compete with non-degree engineers who came up thru the ranks from machine shop to engineering? Why? Have some more lofty goals. Mechanical Engineering is not just machining. There are Fluid Mechanical Engineers, Thermal Dynamics Mechanical Engineers, Static and Dynamic Mechanical Engineers…etc. Mechanical Engineering is so rich in many different studies. In my experience, the top 10% (salaries of $100k or more) are Mechanical Engineers other than manufacturing. Be on the front end of the design, not managing the production.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."
“Luck is where preparation meets opportunity”

Again well said. I thought this stuff was completely obvious.............!!!!!!!
I design robots that no guy in the shop could ever dream of doing......
period.
(again, I can't believe we have to say this...)

[peace]
Fe

I would also like to add the more exotic fields of Mechanical Engineering such as Robotics, Bio Mechanical, and Mechatronics.

Two thumbs Fe!

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."
“Luck is where preparation meets opportunity”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back