Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP...Geo PE References 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike00

Civil/Environmental
Jun 19, 2004
US
hello,

I just got my results back from the April 2004 PE, I did Geotech in the afternoon. I got a 67 overall, but my foundation and retaining wall scores were very disappointing.

I do not have any references for the Geotech part, just the Lindberg reference book.

Can anyone recommed good Geotech references that I can use to study and prepare for the Oct 29th exam???

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Stay with the reference you mentioned (make sure you have applied all the corrections in the errata if there is one on their web site) but compliment it with solving problems (a lot of problems!)and following examples in texts like "Foundation Analysis and Design" by Bowles or many others like those by Das. If you have access to a school library copy the examples and problems from various title and study them. if you can check them out, even better.
Good Luck in October

Ron Scott's book is a good reference - better (in my opinion) than Bowles or Das.

Do you have any of the P.E. exam study guides?

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora. See faq158-922 for recommendations regarding the question, "How Do You Evaluate Fill Settlement Beneath Structures?"

I think Focht3 is referring to "Foundation Analysis" by Ronald F. Scott (Prentice-Hall, 1981). One of the best Fndn Engr texts around in incorporating background and theory. Another excellent text in that regard is Perloff & Baron's "Soil Mechanics" (Wiley, 1976) which was unfortunately published in small print runs and is now out-of-print (and near impossible to find).

As far as new(er) "overview-type" Fndn Engr texts go, my favorite is Coduto's "Foundation Design" (2nd Ed, Prentice-Hall, 2001). I have used this text since 2001 in teaching undergraduate (senior-level) Foundation Design courses. It includes a fair amount of theory, but is mainly nuts-and-bolts. A nice feature of this book as compared to most other "Foundation Design" texts is that it incorporates structural design for footings, walls, shafts, etc--which also makes it "worth buying" and keeping as a reference for the students. I've had nothing but good feedback from students on the book--we'd previously used Das for many years, FYI. Get the 2nd Ed--it has been significantly enhanced from the 1st, with new material, corrected errors, etc (the 1st Ed. had many errors and inconsistencies, and was, IMHO, not worth the $$).

Hope this helps.

Harney,

I just purchased "Principles of Foundation Engineering" by Das 5th Ed. I have enjoyed it so far. My only complaint is that like many texts, they only provide answers to the odd questions, nothing on how they got to the answer. On some of the problems, I am almost 100% sure I am correct, however, the answer in the book says otherwise. I know there is a solution manual, but it's only offered to Professors. Not sure how to get around this. I do know that a Mr. Liiban Affi (soilstructure.com)is publishing a book especially for the PE Depth Geotech and the CA GE Exam. I have read some great reviews on the net about it. But will not be available until 9 August.

Harney: I'll wade in with my favourites. Bowles helped me on my exam (1982) on one question. But in perusing a lot of texts, I still think that M.J. Tomlinson's two books - Foundation Design and Construction and Pile Foundation Design and Construction (I may have titles a bit off) are absolute musts. The pile book is chock full of real problems. The foundation book - the previous to the latest revision is super practical and theory - a cross between the old style books of Tshebotarioff and the newer ones. His last revision of this book is very very heavy into the Eurocode 7 LFRD design concepts. I'll admit - I've never seen Das' book. Ronald Scott - I think I have his 1960 book - it was a great book I admit - the older version of the 1981? Anyway - enough ramble,
[cheers to all]

Mike00;

Hope you do well this October. I justed checked out( and their book covers more than I studied when I took it. From my experience, you need practice problems the most. Practice till when you start to read a problem you should be able to know what variable they are going to ask you at the end. In addition to the soilstructure book, take the Bowles '88 and Cernica's '94 soil mechanics and foundation design books. Go get'em.

Exactly my feeling, I have been doing all the chapter problems in the "Principles of Foundation Engineering" by Das 5th Ed. I plan on doing as many problems as possible.
I'll definitly pass this time around.

Thanks to you all for your suggestions, I have found them very helpfull.

I took a review course at Cal-Poly prior to taking the PE in California. The course notes included many sample problems fully worked. It also included several old tests with the problems worked. Invaluable for study purposes.

Hi,

If you are looking for material for Cast-In-Place Concrete
Retaining walls, the books mentioned by previous folks are good. For sheet pile walls, for the exam purposes, I suggest using chart solutions that you can find in NAVFAC or USS Sheet Pile Manual.

Hope it helps?

Mohan

Wow. We almost got to the bottom of the thread before someone mentioned Navfac. Navfac has easy to understand solutions summarized for ease of use that would always be considered within the standard of practice in the U.S. Something to consider!

I think it's going well. I have aggressively completed review of both of Das' books(one covering principles of geotech and the other foundations) including all the end chapter problems.

I have also gotten a hold of a Geotech PE review book from Soilstructures.com by Liban Afii. I have found it a good source for insight into the real world of geotech engineering as he attempts very well to include his experience in most of the problems.

However, until 29 Oct, I will continue to hit the books.
Last time I got 67, this time I will PASS.

Yes, You're on the right track. One thing I did was to have a sheet with all the subjects, then to mark which reference and page number that had the materials. So for example for earth pressures and retaining walls, I would refer to reference 3 on pages 420-455 for example. The exam is really a race against time. So hit the easiest in the first hour, then the mid-level difficulty and in the end use that sheet to get the remaining harder problems.

I'm sure you'll make it next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back