Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help help nitinol cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxwolf2011

Civil/Environmental
Aug 1, 2012
CH
hi
I'm new in this forum and I've a problem that i can't resolve. I am
M.Sc.Civil engineer and I'm modleing shape memory alloys using in bracing
system.I need to model nitinol in Abaqus.
how can i idintify this material in Abaqus?
do i have to code this model and write subtoutine in fotran or it
already exists in ABAQUS ?[ponder]
what is in summery the steps that i have to do??[ponder]
Search for answer ID in 1658 UMAT and VUMAT routines for the elastic-plastic simulation of Nitinol
4699 Abaqus/CAE plug-in utility to calibrate Nitinol material behavior

but I did not find any of these answers, but please help
another question,How do I design nitinol cable in abaqus, as a solid or wire[ponder] ?
I don't have much time to finish my thesis[sad]
thanks for giving some of ur time for my questions
BEST REGARDS.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is an existing subroutine

you don't need to install anything if you have abaqus above 6.8.
set depvar to 24 and give all the parameter values needed (15 if i recall correctly)
name your material abq_super_elastic_nXd to get the superelastic material subroutine, with X being ur dimension (1 2 or 3)

for a cable, u can use beam (if it's a thick cable w bending stiffness) or a truss element (u can set compression resistance to zero as well)
let's hope ur supervisor doesn't check this forum ;)

grt

Setting the "No compression" flag may get the job done but the model may not be as robust as nonlinearities are piled up on it. This flag results in a sharp transition (a discontinuity) in the stress-strain curve and numerical algorithms end up going nuts trying to converge to a solution in such situations.

I believe the exact same question was asked a few days ago in the ABAQUS Yahoo! group where it was pointed out that ABAQUS' own forum has a SMA model available free for download. Check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back