Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! I need somebody! help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help!!!

Does any one know how to take a dxf file produced in ACAD 2000 and import it into pro/e 2000i's sketcher??????

Help!

Pro/E Addict

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think this is not possible
We are running Pro/E 2000i and i^2, neither of which will bring in DXF files into drawings/and sketcher in any shape or form.
We also the have the freebie download-able Voloview from Autodesk which will not read early DXF files either.
So we have the situation that AutoDesk have made the DXF writer not backward comaptible, and believe me this really screws up the work place environment. We are asking cutonmers to send IGES now.
If you are sending out dxf's to both customer and supplier please check that they can read it, it saves SOOO much hassle. This DXF stuff all seemed to go pear shaped from realese 13 onwards If somebody out there know more or better please comment..
Perhaps someone from Autodesk would also like to comment.

I have done this before . Hovever it is tedious.
You can import IGES 2D into ProE as a sketch so you must convert DXF to IGES. It may be difficult to find an IGES translator. Pre 14 versions of AUTOCAD should do.

import dxf into a new proE native drawing.
save the drawing.
While in sketcher mode...
> SEC TOOLS > COPY DRAW > (select the newly created drawing) > select the features in the drawing that you want to include in the section (PICK MANY) > and then drop it into the section and autodimension.

and they didn't work.

We should seriouly send out a compliant email about this one little feature.

Well, it was a good try.

Pro/E Addict

You can import a DXF file into a Pro/E drawing, export the drawing as an IGES file and Import the IGES file into the Pro/E file (part or assembly) where you are trying to sketch - not sketcher mode. You can then use the USE EDGE functionality from within sketcher mode to select these imported curves. I have done it before so I know it works.

Kellie
Kellie@141.com

From what I understand, v2001 (due out very soon) will allow you to import DXF into sketcher

"Ability to Import DXF Geometry - You can now directly import DXF and DWG geometry into a Sketcher section. In Sketcher mode you can access this functionality by clicking Sketch > Data from File"

I had proe2000i, on my Windows 98 machine. It got a virus and I had to wipe the hard disk. My machine now runs on Windows 2000, but now my proe 2000i installs, but does not run.

Does anyone know how ot get round this?

Thanks

1. first open a proe drawing file of any format say A1
empty file
2. goto file import choose append to file and browse to
*.dxf

because *.dxf is a 2D file you have to open in proe
drawing file , but you cannot open in part model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back