Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help identifying a weld that goes all the way around a cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennisbernal91z

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2011
US
I am trying to identify a weld that goes all the way around a stainless steel rod/cylinder assembly. The weld is joining a tube, slipped over the outside of a rod, where the rod extends a bit further than the cylinder by about 0.5". It looks like a fillet weld, but one of the two legs is much larger than the other one. The entire weld is very small though. One leg of the fillet is only about 0.007" and the other is about 0.020". The larger one runs up the rod, while the smaller one runs perpendicular to the rod surface.

Questions:
1. What is the best way to call out this type of weld?
2. What sort of welding could be used to achieve this type of weld?
3. I can see the small weld bead, so it is unfinished, but it is also a bit concave. How would this be called out? Or would it be left as simply a natrual weld.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

it would be a close fit prior to weld. possibly a slip fit.
then it is tacked & welded with a turntable. it appears to be a hand weld.
because of the pattern. I believe a machine weld would maybe not have that pattern.
What I am accustomed to, it would be more linear if machine welded. but it's been a while.

HTH

Mfgenggear
if it can be built it can be calculated.
if it can be calculated it can be built.

I would call it a 1F rotated lap joint. My experience is limited, but that's what it looks like to me. I guess technically Mint Julep is correct with his "Fillet weld with unequal legs 'all around'." Though I'm not sure about the unequal leg length part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back