Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help identifying this standard 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosby84

Mechanical
Aug 9, 2016
IT
I am analyzing a tank with a nameplate that reads "API-650 [APPADB] - [6TH] EDITION REV. [2]"

Where [X] are the boxes with stamped items.

Does anyone know what "APPADB" means?

Thank for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would take that to mean Appendix A (certain standardized sizes and designs in the 6th Ed), Appendix D (higher-strength design, now the default method in the body of API-650) and Appendix B (foundation design).
Usually, "App" is part of the nameplate text, there's a box, and the "ABC" whatever is stamped in the box, all that apply.
It looks like those Appendices have changed applications some through the years, so the current ones don't correspond to the 6th Edition ones.
And in the current standard, they're "Annexes", but in all the older standards they were "Appendices".

Thanks for the reply JStephen.

Do you know where I could find a copy of 6th Edition Appendix D? API doesn't have it (believe it or not), IHS doesn't have it, and Techstreet doesn't have it.

Thanks

Contact API - they have historical versions

I believe ADP stand for alternate design basis (which was Appendix D in my old 3rd edition...I think) which allows the use of higher strength materials (thinner) usually with more shell stiffening and higher design stresses are allowed.

Hope that helps

Lurmy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back