Help in headloss calculation for fire hydrant pump 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asisraja D

Mechanical
Jan 3, 2024
IN
Hello professionals
we have planned to install fire hydrant system for our new plant and it contains 400KL static water tank and the pipelines layout i have shared here. i have calculated head loss for the entire piping system and i get large amount of pressure drop. i have attached my calculation sheet. i give you my calculation details below please review and explain me little bit in this.

Pipe diameter for main line = 150mm
Length of 150mm pipe is = 535.9 meters.
pipe diameter for branch connection = 100mm
Length of 100mm pipe is = 212.2 meters.
Static tank 400KL height is = 6.3 meters.
MOC of pipe is Mild steel so i took 0.045 as pipe roughness.
overall head loss is 5.71 bar. so (7-5.71 = 1.29 bar line pressure) This is very low pressure as per standards because we should maintain line pressure of 3 bar minimum.
Pump capacity as per standards = 2280 lpm , so pump capacity is 137 m3/hr. head is 70 meters as per vendor quotation.
Industry type : Fermentation & Chemical (API) Solvents used (chloroform, acetone,toluene)

As per IS 3844:1989 (Indian standards) industrial buildings above 15 meters but not exceeding 24 meters can have pump capacity of 2280 liters per minute of flow rate and pressure should be 3 kg/cm2 at fire hydrant line but we have faced huge head loss here. Does anyone help me if this much of head loss occurs then how can i achieve the required flow rate ? can i go for higher head for achieving this flow rate ? or else any other suggestions ?

i hope i can get your suggestions in this. Thank you all.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b738c35c-67fa-4864-be1d-7c3076f30e81&file=FERMACBIO_PRIVATE_LIMITED_Fire_Hydrant_System_Layout-2.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

fel3 Sir
i Have to thank you so many times because now i have tried the freeware software that you were mentioned above. This is really very interesting to learn it due to lack of material i am learning it through youtube soon i will know the basics in few days then i will model our fire hydrant piping.

I hope it will be useful for all applications like cooling tower piping, and so like utility header piping.

pierreick Sir
Thank you so much for your help and i will go through your documents because this is little hard to catch for me but i will get them this definitely because it will be helpful for me.

epanet is really powerful and I believe the engine for may more expensive software out there, but double and tripple check everything; it has no in-built checking (other than full errors) so it is up to you. I toggle between various views for pressure, flow, flow vel;ocities to make sure the model inputs are correct (if your defaults are wrong you may inadvertently enter a 1000m pipeline without realising it)

swazimatt sir
I am learning this last few days and as you told this is default values for pipe length 1000m. We follow SI units in India so to learn this software will take much time. I am happy in learning soon will share my fire hydrant model.

It is not typical to use plain carbon steel for fire water loops. If cement lined pipe is selected here, roughness value may be much more than what you have now. Check with the materials selection / piping engineers. GRE seems to have gone out of fashion, and 90/10 copper nickel will also be much rougher after a few years service, even if the fire water is inhibited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back