Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help in sheetmetal

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanny123

Structural
Apr 24, 2010
GB
Im using solidworks 2005 when i draw a sketch then base flange it gives you 2 direction options .
when i send them to a suface the pattern displays but wont flatten any reason for this

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

stanny123,

The upper left corner of your screenshot shows that the file is an assembly. Are you trying to flatten in a part or assembly file?

- - -Updraft

hi updraft
no i cant open it in apart i get this message pops up

To flatten sheet metal the part must be a part, not an assembly.

- --Updraft

hi updraft i have done as a part,
wot i have done is drawn a sketch in the middle then direction 1 up to a surface, direction to 2 up to a surface.
the surfaces are planes, which are different plane to each other. if i do them separate halfs they will both flatten. but seems long way round when it would be nice if it did it one piece.

Why not extrude from one plane to the other, or Mirror the first half?

Can you post the part for review?

There are usually a variety of ways to do something in SWX and sheet metal is a good example. My own preference is to model the part to make the shape I want and then at its end turn it into sheet metal. (Pick a main face and Insert -> Bends.) Perhaps if you were to try this technique you might have better luck.

- - -Updraft

I notice that the sketch is an in-context sketch. I wonder if that could be an issue.

Can you try using a Unfold feature and check if it works fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back