Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP Looking for strong DC motor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am a mechanical engeneering student looking for info on a DC motor. I need to find a single phase DC moror that is strong enought o power a screw jack with a two ton load on it. The current can not exceed that of the cars electrical system. Any sugestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You don't need a strong motor -- any motor will do it ; the question is how fast ?

You can start with max. current*voltage = power.
Estimate trasmission losses. Calculate lifting speed.
If not fast enough, reduce loss if possible

Nick B.

nbucska is right in terms of the need to define the power (torque and speed) of the system. It is true that with the right reduction any motor will do the job (provide torque). How fast you want to perform the work will define the power requirement of the motor (HP). I will add that an engine starter motor is a good choice for a small sized, high torque, 12VDC motor, but it will not be rated for continuous duty. I am guessing here, but I would be surprised if such a motor was rated for greater than 15 minutes duty (per hour).

Please provide more info as I am sure that someone in this forum can help.

One great motor type is a winch motor...these motors are easily available from army surplus stores(Princess Auto here in Canada). Some even come with a gear reduction assembly built-in. These motors are certainly powerful enough to do this job in a satisfactory amount of time and they are also rated to work continuously unlike a starter motor. The price of a used one at Princess Auto here is about CAN$80.

Hope this helps you with your project.

Cheers,

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back