Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help making a specific featureà. NX8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroTerrapin

Aerospace
Feb 6, 2014
US
Hey Folks,

So I am trying to make a shell that fits inside this rocket fairing.

qu62.png

so I sketched this thin walled (bent) cylindrical pressure vessel inside of it on a central plane:

l5px.png

and I extruded it out to "next" so that it is snuggly inside the fairing, maximizing the use of space in the fairing.
jb2o.png

Now the issue I'm having is to build the end caps to cap the sides.

URL]

I want them to be the curvature of the fairing (circular when viewed from the top), again to get as much volume inside the pressure vessel while staying within the confines of the fairing, but also they have to interface with this strange, non-planar face that I now have due to the fairing curvature and the curvature of the pressure vessel.

I'm wondering if you all could give me some suggestions and pointers as to which feature would best be able to facilitate my making what I'm looking for. I am intrigued by the "through curve" features and the "section surface" features but I am in a time crunch (capstone design course for senior year aerospace and my classmates ask me to do this in two days) and don't really have the time nor experience to learn and explore them all to figure out which feature is best suited for this application. Advice?

Thanks so much!

-Ben

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi....

The pressure vessel. You stated you created it thin walled. I am assuming the extrusion you created has a thickness? (offset)
I would no go for this procedure.

I would go for creating a solid body from the curves you sketched for the vessel. Extrude it the same way you did using "next".
Now you will have a solid body with the correct geometry for your end caps. Apply a "hollow" feature on it to create the inner space with the wall thickness you are going for.
From there, if desired, you can apply split features to create the individual end caps.

Ronald van den Broek
Mechanical Engineer
Cad Environment Coordinator
Wärtsilä, Propulsion Services
NX8.5.3 / TC9.1.2
HPZ420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 32 Gb Win7 64B
Nvidea Quadro4000 2048MB DDR5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back