Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help me come up with a name 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmerr

Structural
Aug 11, 2014
US
I'm at a point in my career where I have moved out of the residential / small commercial design realm for my 9-5 day job. I've obtained my PE and would like to get back into the smaller project design, inspection and consulting arena on the side. I have the contacts, experience, and the confidence to do this, however I have met my nemesis, unstructured creativity. I can't come up with a name for my LLC. It seems whenever I am faced with a toally open ended choice I can't even think of where to start.

Anyone have any ideas? I need some sort of inspiration to at least give me a direction.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Remove the "e" intentionally so they know you're a creative engineer."

....or an engineer who can't spell. :)

Tnemec (the coating manufacturer) is "cement" spelled backwards. IIRC, their first product was a coating to protect concrete. I'm guessing they didn't like "etercnoc".

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

For my products company, I used MLC (MidLifeCrisis) for a while but then engaged a web designer who came up with a much better logotype and name.

My engineering company is Access Engineering because, well... because my brother in law had Access Office Supplies and I liked it.

A tiny bit off topic. But, check with the board of registration in your area. Where I live (California) it is not allowed for professional engineering service companies to be an LLC.

@JoshPlumSE, interesting, any idea why that is? I assume they allow corporation, with the only major difference I am aware of is that the LLC is a pass through company with taxes. Does this also mean you cannot do work in CA if you are an LLC out of another state?

On another note, I've seen some successful companies where the name was partly advertising their services:
Pool Engineering
Anything with structure, structural, geotech, soils in the title
With that in mind, you might call it something like XYZ Residential and Commercial Engineering solutions

Been around a longtime and seen many. One thing to remember, if you are reasonably successful and the company goes on a long time, keeping the name(s) of the original owners may help, especially for old repeat clients. They will keep coming back. I'd stick with your name in the label. Trick names, etc, to me,as an old timer, go nowhere. I want to be known as experience. I know a few successful firms with the original owner names and those guys are long dead, but who cares. The companies are doing great. As an example, what successful legal outfits do you know with no old time owner name in the title? Darn few.
I'll add. Long ago i was with a consulting firm with the name of the owner in it. As time went on new guys became owners and the original owner retired. They kept that original name fora about 5 or 10 yeas. Anyhow new blood then changed the name. It didn't take long for them to fade away.

In my state ( PA ) you can't use the word "engineer" or "engineering" in your company name unless a registered PE is on board.

Yes, in most states you can't offer engineering services unless the engineer and company are registered.
Most law firms have kept the names of the founders even when they are long dead.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

In viewing your post, I suspect you may be in for a shock. I'd just use my name as a starter and let the actual firm name come later. In my contacts with many consultants, etc. naming the firm never took front stage. There are a helluva lot of items yet to face. For instance: how much professional liability insurance are you prepared to pay for? For a beginner it likely is out of your possibilities. If you are sued, how secure are your assets? This may be too soon to go out on your own.

@oldestguy fortunately I have done my research. I know what liability insurance costs and I know in what ways I am able to do business in my state. If I were to do business under my own name it wouldn't make sense to form a llc as I can register with our board of professionals as a sole practicioner saving the costs of formation. However this offers none of the protections of a llc or any of the tax benefits. A llc with my own name makes little sense as I would want to create another llc with later on as I grow the business since a firm with the owner's name in my area is the exception rather than the rule.

Wait until you get sued. You'll change that tune. Those lawyers know all the so all the so-called safe guards. However, if there is more money in another pocket, that may help. a little.

@oldestguy You seem needlessly negative and contrarian while offering no actual help. I plan on forming a LLC as well as holding professional liability insurance for my planned venture. Do you have any suggestions of better ways to protect myself for this venture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back