Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help me 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryopumps

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2004
US
I am a mechanical engineer and want to design an automated Bartender. This is just for fun. I need to know how I can control fluid in a pipe. The pipe will be set up verically and be blocked off by a valve or something. Then I need to do a control of somesort to tell the valve to move at a rate to allow a certain amount of fluid to pass and then close again. I checked on Mcmaster Carr and other and found information on solenoid valve etc. My problem is I dont even know where to start. Is this difficult? I need to keep this off the shelf and as cheap as possible

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cryopumps

Go to the local bar and order a mixed drink, the bartender will invert the bottles of the mix that will have a calibrated cap, each inversion of the bottle will flow a certain amount of liquid, 1/4 shot, 1/2 shot, full shot (a shot is 1.5 oz) these caps use the vaccuum created to stop the flow after the liquid has passed, the caps are cheap and simple and with creativity with an air line the system could be automated. (not that the bartender would like that though)

Hydrae

If you dont want to go along with hydraes sysmtem then I think the easiest way would be to make the lengt of the pipe so that this corresponds to a defined measure (e.g. 1/2 shot). The install a valve at the bottle (top of the pipe) and one at the bottom. The top one should be a 3 way valve type to allow air to flow into the line. The set up the system so that the top valve closes first (and allows the air to get in) and then the bottom opens. Following a short pause (for emptying) the valves then reset.

Best regards

Morten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back