Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help!! My Solid stucks all of a sudden! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

atama

Industrial
Jul 31, 2007
IL
Hi, I have a 2007 version that used to work just great untill a few weeks ago, I was away and haven't opened it in a while, and today I finally do, and the darn thing keeps stucking! The program opens, the file opens, but as soon as I try, say, to rotate the view, it stucks and it takes a few long seconds to rotate. The next attempt - the same. Every action, such as opening a sketch for editing, or whatever I try, stucks and takes loads of time. It even made my screen go black, like the screen suddenly shut down without me even touching it. What on earth is going on?? All other programs work just fine. I've tried restarting the computer, I've uninstalled and re-installed the Solidworks, nothing helps! I'm going nuts. Does anyone know what could it be?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some more background would be nice as well. What are your hardware specs for your computer? Do you work in a single-user or multiple-user environment? Do you work locally or across a network? Have you checked with your IT department to see if they've made changes to your network?

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

CorBlimeyLimey , thanks a zillion!
Though kill me if I understand how the "use software OpenGl" option got unchecked all of a sudden, 'cause as I said, the program worked just fine the last time I used it, and nobody but me works on the Solidworks. Damn! I wasted a whole day's work because of a rotten, little unchecked box.

CorBlimeyLimey , could you please explain what I really did by checking that box? What is that OpenGl option? And what is the hardware acceleration (I didn't do that yet)
Thanks!

Basically, it means that your video card is not good enough to run SolidWorks properly. Checking the OpenGl box forces your main CPU to do all of the heavy graphics work that the video card is supposed to do.

I'm having the same issue and my workstation fits all the parameters from the solidworks website recommendations for dell...

so what does switching it to NONE do? I checked the box, hopefully that gives me some stability, but I don't get why I'd shut off acceleration? Is that going to make my solidworks projects even slower??

While your box may be within the parameters on the SolidWorks website, your drivers may not be. Make sure that you are using an approved video card driver. The latest driver isn't neccessarily the right one. Look under 'Dell' in the approved driver section, not just under the video card manufacturer. Companies like Dell sometimes use different drivers.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

ok so I went to solidworks got the approved driver for my video card and installed it... doesn't seem to give any improvement in speed... so should this opengl box be checked now or unchecked since I have the correct approved driver installed...

Takami,
Unchecked. If you're running an approved driver, you don't want OpenGL overriding it.
As for your speed issues, are you opening up your files locally or across the network? Also, did you uninstall the old driver then reinstall the new driver? Look in the FAQ area (located at the top of the page) to see how to properly install a new driver.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

I have my new "dream" system, running Nvidia 5600 with an "approved" driver, and all up to date.

SOLID WORKS 2007 SP4 Freezes CONSTANTLY! And generally sucks worse than ever. This is an 11,000 computer. SW RX says everthing is fine. I've achieved the goal of faster rendering times. But now I can't model jack squat without saving every 3 seconds out of fear of the software locking up and not responding...Which it does 10-15 times a day. MY WONDERFUL resellers in IOWA answer to all of this??? REINSTALL WINDOWS naturally. Should be getting 2008 in the mail soon. Won't load it for awhile out of fear of what whole new batch on BS problems that will cause.

In short. 08 in the last I care to see out of Solidworks in my lifetime, and I hope they go bankrupt.

So I got all confused: If my opengl box is checked and everything works just fine, is there any damage? Do I have to do all the hokey pokey stuff with the drivers and all, or can I stick to what works - checking the box?

atama ... Having the OpenGL box checked will use up precious CPU processing power and will have a negative impact on performance. Having it NOT checked allows the video card processor to do what it's intended to do. NOT checked is better providing you are not having graphics problems.

[cheers]

IT installed it for me because I didn't want to screw it up. I wasn't here when he installed it.

I've opened across the network from PDM and I've worked on files locally, I constantly have the same problem no matter which scenario. For months everything was fine so I'm doubting it's me in this particular problem because up until 2 weeks ago, everything ran smoothly.

Right in the middle of whatever I'm working on, solidworks will stop responding then vanish. PDM vanishes. Sometimes I get the RESTART SOLIDWORKS popup, many times it all just 'goes away' with no reason or error just poof.

IT people do not understand how to deal with ANY CAD software. I know, I worked in engineering for the past 20+ years, now in IT.
A lot of times it's the hardware and/or settings.
I suggest call your VAR ... WITH your IT person on the phone with you.

Chris
SolidWorks 07 4.0/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-07-07)
ctopher's blog

Razberryjones ... I despair of you and for you. Have you not seen some of the models and renderings that other users have created ... and create on a daily basis. Do you really believe that SW would be as popular as it is if everyone had the problems you have experienced?

Arrange for someone who knows how to set-up and use SW properly to visit your company. I can almost guarantee that if they were to install all software on your machine from scratch, THEY would have no problems running SW.

The only proviso I have, is if you have defective SW installation CDs/DVD.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back