Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help on modeling a car part with surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucasBS

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2010
BR
How do I model that part (attatchment) using pro/e 5 ?

Preferentially, using surface methods (which you would have to teach me).
The focus really IS learning 3D surfaces.

Some parts have very precise measures, like corners and the radius of the detail on top. Others are soft and free.
I guess that precision would be achieved only through sketch. But I have no Idea how to make a 3D sketch...

Any clue ?
Tutorials ?

Or straight instructions, if you guys have the patience.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The traditional way is to make curves and fit 3D surfaces to them. For an auto body part you have to work in a very organic way - you don't just draw and stretch shapes in Pro/E. Even with a style feature, this only supports a portion of the geometry.

1) First make curves. These will define edges and guiding curves that will "support" the shape of the surface.
a) Curves by following datum points
b) Curves by intersection of surfaces
c) Curves by any other means
2) Build the surface of the part by stretching surface features over the curves. Boundary blends are the most generic and powerful surface feature for this. However, they can be a challenge to work with. It is important that these surface features meet each other by the edges and hold exactly the curvature of the adjacent surface feature.
3) Stitch together (join) the surface features into one continuous quilt.

How exactly to do all of these things generally is about 3 days of instruction, assuming you're competent with other kinds of Pro/E features. As generic as my structure is, in fact there are many variations on the above concept, and there is no way I can detail even one such example. The help files won't be very good for learning all of this. A course or good instruction book is required. I developed my skills on Cadquest instruction products. Toogood has a good surfacing book as well.

David

Thanks, guys.

I'm seeing bowl's firsts videos, and so far I can conlude Style is a great tool for that. The same NURMS I can see on other 3D softwares.
And the result is great too.

Firstly, I've tried making datum points, using them to make datum curves, and them binding them with boundary blends, but there's no precision at all with it.

The control of the datum points over the curve is extremely poor... Too many points are needed to make it follow the path. And it's way too much work to positions these many points on all the three dimensions...

The Style tool has a similar problem: no precision.
From the turorials we can see we use more eyes than measures.
No measures, actualy...

Can we use sketches, instead of blueprints, to snap the points ?

Sure I'll use blueprints too, but I wanna use measures I have taken from the car.

Another thing:

How, in PROE, I leave a sketch UNHIDDEN, while using style tool ?

Because I have exact measures of the vehicle, and I draw 2D's of it, to make use later when on Style.

But when on Style tool, any other stuff on the model tree disappears...

:(

Disregard the last question.

The sketch disappeared because it was in the wrong place on the model tree.

I'll keep learning here...

Thanx again.

I give up.

Your video tutorials are well explained.
But to make a car by blueprints, I prefer the solid geometries of 3ds max.
Also, that thing of making the points match their positions so there are no holes, makes Style not a good method.
Apart of other stuff, like difficulties on selecting and draggin the points, and their obedience of the blueprints, etc...

Thanx for all, you both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back