Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help pls in DMU Kinematics with valve-gear modelling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bajszi

Bioengineer
Dec 2, 2005
HU
Hy everybody!

I have to make a four-stroke engine model, and I have to analising in the DMU Kinematics. It's my final project at my university. But I've stucked with the valve-gear.
I've been trying to find a solution for 2 days, but I haven't found anything yet. I've read the documentations, but I couldn't use the Point-, Roll Curve Joint... :(

Here is a good animation, what I want to manage:

Thx for helping me!

Cheers, Bajszi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

according to the gif picture what you need is sliding curve joint.

I made a ref part (fixed) as a support fir the rotation (Revolute) and the translation (cylindrical)

have fun

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Thanks for the help, but I think it's not enough. :(

I fixed one part, which is a rectangle with a hole. The valve goes into this hole with a cylindrical joint.

I have to put the camshaft into a holder with a revolute joint.
I've done these.

But I need another joint between the camshaft and the valve to make the control. But I can't make this special joint.

Make sure you have a point on the valve that represents the contact point between the two parts.
Then have a curve that represents the path that the point follows as the camshaft rotates.
Should you then be able to create a point on curve joint between the two an get the mechanism to work.

ryengnut

I've used a slide curve between the camshaft and the valve.

on the camshaft : create a section curve that goes all around

on the valve : create a curve in the same plane as the one on the camshaft.

TIP : in order to create the joint you need the 2 curves to be 'in contact'. You might need to create some points in order to have this contact.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

What I don't know is this 'in contact'. How can I make this 2 curves to be in contact? In the Part design? or in the assembly or in Kinematics?
And these example files in the documentation have this 'Geometrical set'. I think I need this but how?
Sorry for not being able to understand what you wrote, but it's not easy now for me. But very important for me to manage it.
The engine block, the oil-tank, the rod, the piston, the crankshaft... so everything is done, fully modelled. But I can't manage this valve controll.
Is it possible to send me this example file what you made?

Thx for everybody! Finally I could manage it.

It wasn't easy, I had to put the curves together, with points. And it was only possible in the DMU Navigator.

yes, it works! :)

And I have another questions, but it could be another topic. I've been learning IT, so I'm not a proper engineer. But when you build a mechanism, for example now this 4 stroke engine, do you apply offset between the parts?

For example when a bearing attached to something, do they have offset (~0.1mm) between each other? Or we have to biuld it with touching each other?

I'm in a similar situation. I have managed to create the joints but the simulation doesn't work as it should.

I have a valve running in a guide with a cylindrical joint. Revolute joint between the cam and head. Then I’ve used the slide curve joint linking a curve around the surface of the cam lobe to a curve on the top of the valve stem.

When I run the simulation the curve on the valve follows the base circle diameter of the lobe until the valve should begin to open, then it jumps through the cam lobe to join with the base centre circle again (see linked photos). I have tried limiting the valves movement in the cylindrical joint but this doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas?

Hiya!

I've had the same problem, especially when I used high speeds and rotations...
My stuff: I had a curve with point, and a line with another point. And I used the slide curve joint with the two points. So the line and the curve are touching each others by the points. This was I could not use a staight line in the curve. But this way it works.

That was a quick reply, thanks.

I've sorted it now, I was trying to use a straight line on the top of the valve stem, putting a curved line here (in the plane of the lobe) solved it.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back