Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!! - Pro/Program & Interchange Assys

Status
Not open for further replies.

ella0509

Mechanical
May 19, 2004
GB
Guys, need some help before I pull my hair out.....I found my tether & I can almost see the end of it!!!!

I have three vessels mounted to a piece of framework.....the vessels are part of an interchange assy consisting of similar vessels but different configs & sizes.

A Pro/Program swaps out the vessels based on vessel type (1, 2 or 3). Frame work regenerates and changes size to suit new configuration via relations.

There is one member of the framework which is alligned to a datum on the vessel. If I manually "REPLACE" the vessel the framework moves position to suit the new leg position. If I allow Pro/Program to change the vessel via the input vessel_type, then the framework member can't find the datum reference to align the member. Surely the process is the same, be it manual operation or auto (program) operation.

Hope this explains it well - thanks in advance!!

Lee

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When using the interchange functionality with Pro/PROGRAM or family table instances, only one interchange group can be referenced per model. Interchange groups can be removed by selecting #Setup #Interchange and #Remove in the parts. Create one interchange group that contains the reference tags for all assemblies.

Peter

Hi Topguns,

Thanks for your reply. I do only have one interchange assembly, which has all the similar reference tags attached to it. This interchange assembly contains three different vessel assemblies (different size & config). Reference tags are inlet / outlet face & axis, foot base, foot hole centre datums.

The overall assembly contains 3 of the same vessels in series mounted onto the framework. One of the framework members has one reference aligning it to the center line of the hole in the vessel foot. This leg/foot position changes for each different vessel size and hence that is why I would like it to regen in the new leg position. Like I say, it works fine using the "REPLACE" command - do it via Pro/Program and it falls down - I must be missing something somewhere(?)

Cheers,
Lee

It is an intended behavior of assembly regeneration. This is to prevent any consequent failure that might occur due to the dependencies of the component that fails to be replaced.

Peter

Lee,

There is any error message when ProE tries to replace the components? Paste and copy here the portion of your Pro/Program which does the automatic replacemet. May is just a typo error.

-Hora

Hi guys, thanks for info.

During regeneration the only error I recieve is "Failed to Regenerate Component Placement" "Feature references are missing".

Here is the program - note I've removed the second & third vessels whilst I resolve this issue.

VERSION I-02-25
REVNUM 780
LISTING FOR ASSEMBLY SKID1

INPUT
VESSEL_TYPE NUMBER = 1.000000
"WHAT VESSEL TYPE WOULD YOU LIKE? (1=VSHCE033, 2=VSHCE053, 3=VSHCE083)"
END INPUT

RELATIONS
D4:3=D2:5
LENGTH:48=D8:3-D12:50
WEIGHT=MP_MASS("")
IF VESSEL_TYPE==1
VESSEL = "VSHCE033CDDTS.ASM"
/*CIP_VESSEL = "VSHCE013CIP.ASM"
ELSE
IF VESSEL_TYPE==2
VESSEL = "VSHCE053CDDTS.ASM"
/*CIP_VESSEL = "VSHCE033CIP.ASM"
ELSE
IF VESSEL_TYPE==3
VESSEL = "VSHCE083CDDTS.ASM"
/*CIP_VESSEL = "VSHCE053CIP.ASM"
ENDIF
ENDIF
ENDIF

END RELATIONS

ADD FEATURE 1
INTERNAL FEATURE ID 1
TYPE = DATUM PLANE
NAME = AVERT

FEATURE IS IN LAYER(S) :
DATUMS - OPERATION = SHOWN

END ADD

ADD FEATURE 2
INTERNAL FEATURE ID 4
TYPE = DATUM PLANE
NAME = AHORIZ

FEATURE IS IN LAYER(S) :

END ADD

ADD FEATURE 3
INTERNAL FEATURE ID 6
TYPE = DATUM PLANE
NAME = ABACK

FEATURE IS IN LAYER(S) :

END ADD

EXECUTE ASSEMBLY SPOOL_BYPASS
VESSEL_TYPE = VESSEL_TYPE
END EXECUTE

ADD SUBASSEMBLY SPOOL_BYPASS
INTERNAL COMPONENT ID 16
END ADD

ADD SUBASSEMBLY VSHCE083CDDTS
INTERNAL COMPONENT ID 67
PARENTS = 16(#4)
END ADD

ADD SUBASSEMBLY SKID_FRAME
INTERNAL COMPONENT ID 59
PARENTS = 67(#5) 16(#4)
END ADD

MASSPROP
ASSEMBLY SKID1
END MASSPROP

The subassy SKID_FRAME contains the one cross member which is aligned to vessel foot - this is what is falling down.

There is not one error message whilst doing a manual "REPLACE" it just works as I want it to!!

TopGuns - if this is an intended feature, is there a workaround?? If not then surely an oversight by PTC??

Thanks guys,
Lee

Lee,

Your code is unclear.

I didn't see where you instruct Pro/Program to exchane the desired component.

You must add a statement as this one:

ADD COMPONENT vessel
INTERNAL COMPONENT ID 67
PARENTS = 16(#4)
END ADD

If you exchange them in SKID_FRAME, then you must rectreate your Pro/PROGRAM in this assembly.

-Hora

My apologies Hora......

The lines:

ADD SUBASSEMBLY VSHCE083CDDTS
INTERNAL COMPONENT ID 67
PARENTS = 16(#4)
END ADD

Should have read ADD SUBASSEMBLY (VESSEL) as you stated:
I had been messing around with the manual REPLACE option prior to cut & paste operation and hadn't noticed it had changed in the code.....it got my head spinning!

Lee

Lee,

Would you please replace the word "SUBASSEMBLY" with "COMPONENT" in your code?

ADD COMPONENT (COMP)

Then in relations, please change this:

VESSEL = "VSHCE033CDDTS.ASM"

into this:

vessel = "vsfce033cddts.asm"

Also, please take a look at the following thread started by Oxana: thread555-24772

We had a nice discussion there about automatic component replacement by Pro/PROGRAM.

-Hora

Hello Hora, and all who are viewing this thread.

Tried your statements as requested, but still no luck with automatic placement of the third frame member.....again I can swap it out using REPLACE option without the third frame member loosing references, but with Pro/Program its the same fault each time....any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lee

Lee,

I reproduced your problem (with 2 interch. parts) and the program swaps them without problem for me.

Something must be wrong with your tags in the interchange assembly.

-Hora.

Thanks Hora,

I've mangaged to solve the problem by doing the assembly a slightly different way - still not sure as to why it wouldn't work using the first metho, but I didn't have any more time available to resolve it.

Thanks again, and look forward to discussing further issues with you in the future.....

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back