Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help purchasing a new computer for Autocad use 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan240

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2004
US
Hi,

I have a budget of $5-5.5K for a new computer (including the monitor) that will be running Autocad. It has to come from Dell and it has to run Windows (Vista or XP?). Our current PC reads like this...

System:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Dell Dimension 8300
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.19 Ghz
1.0 GB of Ram

The video card is...
GeForce FX 5200
128 MB
AGP 8x Bus

How outdated is our current set up? Where should I be spending my money? Can Autocad take advantage of a dual core processor?

I priced out a 3.00Ghz Dual processor, dual core set-up with 4 GB of RAM but only with their 256 Video card. I thought this would be a nice upgrade for our designer but I don't want to spend a bunch of money and have it run as fast as our current one.

Thanks for any help.

Dan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For that much money you should be able to get a great machine. I would seriously consider going with dual monitors at that price as well. Maybe two 19" LCDs, even 22"s, since prices are coming down.

For that much money you can get three machines!

Definitely 2 LCDs, and definitely a dual core 64-bit processor. Choose your version of Windows to match what other computers on your system are running. Right now it's probably WinXP, which will be easiest, but in 3 years time it is probably going to be Vista - unless Vista goes the way of WinME.

Do not go with a standard video card. You definitely want to max out what video card is on the current market, especially if you will do 3D applications. The time it will save you in redrawing/panning/zooming is worth the extra cash. Bear in mind that your motherboard will need to be able to handle a top-range video card.

RAM is not so much an issue with CAD. I have 2GB of RAM on my computer at work, which is a P4 2.8 GHz processor and it is super-slow compared to my home computer which has 1GB of RAM and a dual core Athlon 64 processor.

Call a Dell sales person and let them spec you something out, then post the specs and quote here before buying.

I apologize if this is hard to read. This is what I have picked out. Its about 5k and from Dell (who I know is expensive, but is required). What do you think?

PROCESSOR Dual Core Intel® Xeon® Processor 5160 (3.00GHz, 4MB L2,1333) edit

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2 with Media edit

VIDEO CARD 256MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 3500, Dual DVI or Dual VGA or DVI + VGA edit

MEMORY 2GB, DDR2 SDRAM FBD Memory, 667MHz, ECC (4 DIMMS) edit

OPTICAL DRIVE 48XCDRW AND 16XDVD+/-RW, w/Cyberlink PowerDVD™ and Roxio Creator™ edit

RAID CONFIGURATION C4 All SATA drives, RAID 1, 2 drive total configuration edit

HARD DRIVE 160GB SATA, 10K RPM Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst Cache™ edit

2ND HARD DRIVE 160GB SATA, 10K RPM Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst Cache™ edit

LARGE DISPLAYS Dell High Color 30 inch UltraSharp Widescreen Monitor edit

Do you really need two 160 GB hard drives? Won't your data be stored on a server?

Does Dell not carry any AMD processors? The Intels just aren't as good as the AMDs, but of course if you can't pick then an Intel will be fine.

I'm not sure even a CAD operator needs more than one 30" monitor. You'd have to sit 10' away from those suckers or you'll feel like you're at the IMAX all day!

Is the DVD burner dual layer? If for some reason you'll want to burn huge DVDs you'll need dual layer, if not, don't worry about it.

That graphics card costs in the range of $1,000 and is so new that I can't even find a review of it, but I would hope it's worth the money. Video cards do tend to plummet in price as something new comes on the market, so you might save some money by looking for something a few months old that has reviews.

Make sure you get the Gold Support from Dell. My husband worked Dell tech support and believe me, it makes a difference and is worth the extra.

The following system cost $2,600, but lacks the top-end video card.

PROCESSOR: AMD ATHLON™ 64 X2 5200+ (2.60GHz, 1MBX2)
OPERATING SYSTEM: Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2, x32, with Media, English
MEMORY: 2GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM,667MHz, (2 DIMM)
HARD DRIVE: 80GB SATA, 10,000 RPM 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Data Burst Cache™ *assumes data stored on server
OPTICAL DRIVE: 16X DVD+/-RW SATA, Roxio Creator Dell Edition dual layer
VIDEO CARD: 256MB PCIe x16 ATI RadeonX1300 Pro,Dual DVI or VGA adapter,Dual Monitor,FH not top-end
MONITOR:Dell 20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007FP Flat Panel, Adjustable Stand, VGA/DVI
2ND MONITOR: Dell 20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007FP Flat Panel, Adjustable Stand, VGA/DVI
ENERGY SMART: Dell Energy Smart Enable
FILE SYSTEM: NTFS File System for all Operating Systems edit

FLOPPY & MEDIA READER: 1.44MB 3.5 Inch Floppy Drive
SPEAKERS: No Internal Speaker
KEYBOARD: Dell USB Keyboard, No Hot Keys, English, Black
MOUSE: Dell USB 2-Button Entry Mouse with Scroll, Black
RECOMMENDED BUNDLE: Bundle: Wireless Desktop Set Up: Keyboard, Mouse, Surge & Memory Key
1394 CARD: 1394 Controller Card fire wire

SYSTEM DOCUMENTATION: Resources CD contains Diagnostics and Driver for Dell OptiPlex Systems

WARRANTY & SERVICE 4Yr Ltd Warranty + 4Yr Same Day 4Hr On-Site Service (7Days x24Hrs)
GOLD TECHNICAL SUPPORT: 4 Years Gold Technical Support *worth every penny
ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE SERVICE: 4 Year CompleteCare Accidental Damage Service
ON-SITE SYSTEM SETUP: No Onsite System Setup
ADVANCED CONFIGURATIONS: Hide Microsoft Outlook Express
ADVANCED CONFIGURATIONS: Remove Microsoft Games
ADVANCED CONFIGURATIONS: Hide Microsoft Legacy Communications

PLANT A TREE: Plant a Tree for Me - Offset a Desktop

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. To answer a few...

As far as I know Dell only sells Intel stuff, so I think I am kind of stuck with it.

He won't do a lot of burning but the DVD burner was about $35 to upgrade so I added it.

I found a few comments on the 3500 video card and they all seem to be positive. Its on a new chip over the 3450. Suppose to be better.

I am going to think about the hard drive space. He has 100GB now and his disk is more than 2/3rds full. We do have servers.

You are right about the 30" monitor I am a little worried it might be too big. Suggestions on where to spend that money else where? I keep looking at more RAM but don't really think that's going to help the system any.

I am in a unique situation where I have 5k to spend or I just lose it. So I have "padded" a few things. I thought it would be easier to spend all of it.

Thanks,

Dell does sell AMD chips; the one I built on their site had an AMD chip. My husband says it doesn't matter anymore on dual cores so the Intel is fine. He says that the AMDs are cheaper, but that's not a factor for you. They do run cooler (i.e. good power management).

My husband is familiar with nVidia cards and says that the one you've picked is a good card. The Quadro and the geForce are the same hardware, but different firmware. The Quadro is better for CAD and the geForce better for gaming.

My husband says the only thing he'd change on that system is the hard drive configuration. RAID 1 is just simple mirroring of data, so you'd still have only 160gb of available space. Adding a third hard drive (as large as possible, and ignore the RPM speed) would give you not only a non-system drive to swap memory to, but a larger, faster data repository. RAID is a good thing to have, but lots of CAD files will fill up a 160gb hard drive in a hurry -- especially when you have Windows and AutoCAD and all your other software on that same drive. He recommends adding a huge third hard drive, saving your data on it, and backing it up regularly.

I don't mean to be a sour puss but just because you have the money is it REALLY necessary to go top end just to spend it. It would be good practice to get what you need it for at the best price with some thought for any change in work for the future. I know things quickly become out of date but if they do the job in a repectable time why have something you dont need. Who needs a washing machine with 50 programmes when you only ever use 2. My apologies if you think this post is negative. It's just my two penny worth.

I understand what your saying but I'd rather not discuss the reasons why we are trying to spend all the money available before the end of the year....and not just computers.

Thanks,
Dan

Actually, if the computer has a lifecycle of 3+ years, then it is worth it to get the top of the line. I am currently dealing with a "pretty good when new" computer nearing the end of its life and have wasted hours waiting for the processor to finish calculating. So yes, $5,000 is money well spent when you consider the increased efficiency of the operator over the life of the computer.

dan240,
that last post just answered a question a lot of people were scratching there heads about. thanks for that. and oh yeah i wish i was in your position no matter how non practical others think it is.

tony

tony

There is one more feature that is often overlooked - noise level. Most work stations have the computer close enough impact the designer that is at his/her station a lot of hours per week. Keep the noise level down for a better work environment. Ask the Dell representative about low noise equipment.

After using off the shelf products for years, I finally decided to go low noise. What a difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back