Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

help regarding probation period / work contract breach 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

compguy22

Mechanical
Mar 14, 2022
CA
My work contract states that my probation period is 6 months. After probation period completion my salary is also to be revised (increased). Now I am about 7 months since start of work.

During the probation period there is one interim review at 3 months and then final review at 6 months.

During interim review boss filled report that decision is performance is OK so far, decision is employee retention and also verbally told me no need to do final review, same interim review report will serve as final. He said he will send a copy of interim report to me, but never did.

Fast forward, after 7 months of work, salary was not revised. I also assumed I am confirmed in my job, since no notice given otherwise; it was the opposite, I am given long term assignement and projects responsibilities. So far, no final review was done further.

Since salary was not revised, contacted payroll, thought it is admin misunderstanding. They said they were not instructed by Management to increase pay. Went to boss, said could you please take a look at, as there is % salary increase due.

Boss said, we still need to make final review on decision of probation period (despite 6 months having revolved). I said Boss do I have to assume probation period is not completed yet? He said it is completed but yet my final decision is pending, whatever that is. He said that he did not schedule review during 6 months period, on ground that it did fall during vacation time, stating this is not an excused but reality. BTW, Boss is licensed professional engineer.

I think there is breach of labour law. Would you be so kind to give me orientations?

Do I have to stick to two weeks notice if I resign.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As an update:

To my big surprise, HR made significant impact and was very receptive to my case, also very genuinely so.
I do not know the exact content of conversation between HR / boss, but 100% confident they have pointed that the approach undertaken is not proper and that they disagreed with the treatment. The bossed called for a review meeting and during that meeting sort of fixed everything and advised that back payment will be made. For sure HR kept things on track, but was a hell of a ride.

As a result, I got confirmed in my position and I have more leeway now to start polishing my resume (effective immediately!).

Guys, thank you so very much for your assistance during the process.
It kept me on track too, avoiding making a "faux pas", taking inadequate communication routes, etc.

Thank you really.

Congrats on the confirmation. Working for large companies (particularly those with dedicated HR departments that look out for thee employees) does have its advantages. Best of luck with the rest of your career.

Thanks for the update. Sometimes the system works in your favour!

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back