Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Help to vessel specification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NghiaPP

Chemical
Mar 7, 2005
DK
I need some guidelines to make specification for a distillation column.
The vessel shall be designed according to ASME VIII div. 2.
Design pressure is 8 bar and design temperature is 250 deg.C, , material is CS.
As a consequence of a up set condition, the vessel could be filled up with liquid from normal level of 4 m to a level of 30 m, which will add around 2 bar extra to the bottom.
Do I need to given this information and the additional load to the foundation in the vessel specification ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NghiaPP
I would strongly recommend you find a 3rd party organization that specializes in the design of pressure vessels for petrochemical. You will need to supply the above information and other engineering and material requirements based on the process. The design firm should have the expertise to take your general information and with their expertise develop a detailed engineering specification that could go out for bid to qualified pressure vessel shops.

In addition to what metengr says, if you are indeed reqesting a Division 2 vessel, then you need to have either yourself, or someone in your organization prepare a User's Design Specification (UDS)(the requirements of which is in Division 2). The preparation of a UDS is an involved process, and needs to be stewarded by someone with knowledge and experience in pressure vessels.

Is this pressure vessel goign to be installed in a location where there are pressure vessel regulations that define what must be done?

Thanks for the quickly reply.
First of all, I’m sorry for my typo mistake. It should be div.1 for this low pressure vessel.
Of course, the specification will be through a third party company. But we as the end user might have responsibility to inform the 3rd party about this information.
I understand that the mentioned information is relevant for a vendor to build the vessel. The code does not take care of the filling situation. Without the information the vessel could be fail under upset condition and the reposibility belong to us. Is it correctly understood?

Yes. Although a responsible design firm would review your submitted process conditions and they would propose design conditions for upset that should be reviewed and approved by the owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back