Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP ! URGENT ! Export deformed shape into any CAD format from ABAQUS 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdeepakroy

Computer
Feb 16, 2005
US
Hello,

Is there a way i can export the deformed shape resulting form the FEA analysis in ABAQUS in a standard CAD format ???

Right now, i can view the results in the ABAQUS visualization module and the simulation appers to be right.

But I did not find any way in which i can export the deformed mesh in a standard CAD format.

I want this facility, because i want to read back the deformed mesh into my C++ application code, analyse it and then generate a new input file for ABAQUS for analysis. I want to implement this iterative process.

I have explored all the menu options in the visualization module, but i found no way of exporting the deformed shape in a standard CAD format .....

Any help would be greatly appreciated ....

Thanks in advance,

Deepak

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My guess is the error is in the for loop that writes the outFile. Someone that has more Python programming experience than myself will probably see this error right away.

You can see what happens by printing
(within the "for i in range( numNodesTotal )):" both

curNode.label and dispField.values.nodeLabel

and see if they refer to the same node.

If you have a reference point defined for the instance "name", I remember that you may end up with an extra-node at the reference point in some of the nodal storage objects.
therefore: you should identify the nodes based on their label.

You are right. I just shifted the indice by 1 and it worked.

# write points
for i in range( numNodesTotal ):

curNode = my_part_instance.nodes

defNodePos = dispField.values[i+1].data

outFile.write( '\n' )

for j in range( 3 ):

outFile.write( str( curNode.coordinates[j] ) + ' ' + str( defNodePos[j] ) + ' ' )

outFile.close()

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back