Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP! Which CAM software to purchase?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalcut

Industrial
Jun 7, 2002
US
I am an industrial engineer assigned to evaluate and purchase CAM software for our plant. We manufacture hydrualic piston pumps in low volume. To date we have done all CNC programming by hand, but I have a new boss that insists we go to using CAM software. WE have many lathes that utilize C-axis and live tooling. We also have a 4 1/2 axis Integrex turning center. Finally, we do lots of 3 1/2 axis milling on horizontal machining centers.

I have narrowed our choices down to ESPRIT, EdgeCAM, and CAMWorks. I realize that CAMWorks does not currently support the Integrex, or our C-axis lathes, but it has many advantages that have kept it in the running. It has SolidWorks on the front end, excellent tool file management (Access-based), it is half the price of ESPRIT, and our tech support would be fifteen minutes away. PROCam (another TekSoft package that CAN handle our lathes) will be included at no cost until CAMWorks can handle them.

I have had all three companies in for demos and, with the expection of CAMWorks not handling our lathes, I am confident that all three packages will meet our needs. I have heard that ESPRIT's tech support is weak though.

I welcome all input regarding any of these three packages.

-Metalcut

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Solutionware has a CAD/CAM program that will output Mazatrol and it works for the Integrex machine. If you are going to program in G-code Edgecam is an excellent product, but I think the technical support isn't the greatest unless your reseller is strong in that area.

Dear Metalcut,

I use Edgecam for programming my machines, and we have an integrex machine as well. Using Edgecam I can generate a program in 5 minutes. That is using Macros. I draw my part in Inventor which takes minutes and import it to Edgecam for machining. I had used Smartcam for 10 years. I liked Smartcam untill I saw how powerful Edgecam is. Not to mention the people from Edgecam are great and will help you with anything.

Also you it very easy to write your own post processor for Edgecam. Unlike Gibbs or Esprit they will charge you for a post processor. You can also import drawings from solidworks as well

well the good news for Gibbs is now they include a post processor creator called Post Haste with the package. I would still let them create the one free post that is included for the most difficult machine in the place(let them have the headache of doing that). Gibbs creates the fastest g-code that i have seen vs (mastercam, esprit, edgecam, surfcam.) it is accurate also. The only thing is that they are no longer leading the pack but just like everyone else out there. The mold machining capabilities could be improved. They seem to be focusing alot of energy to 2.5D type work (feature recognition) ect.. The best bet you have is to try 2 of the packages you are most interested in out on a easy and hard part. You will find that they each have their strengths and weaknesses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back