Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with a wing design needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostjanPerdan

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2011
SI
Dear all,

I am fairly new to Catia and would appreciate your help with designing wing for a model airplane. I have designed one wing half and the idea I have is to set it at an angle to get the required wing dihedral, trim the mid section using a reference zx plane and then use the mirror command to get a complete wing.

The questions I have:
1.) What would be the easiest way to rotate a whole assembly for a certain angle (2,5°)? I have tried using angle constraint and used xy plane as reference which didn’t work and using a compass however, with compass I have also rotated the coordinate system which I do not want. Does an assembly have a coordinate system of its own or is the fixed components coordinate system used?

2.) Is it possible to somehow set a global reference zx plane in assembly to trim all the components in the mid section (root area)?

3.) Is it possible to use mirror command on a assembly or do I need to use symmetry command, save the new product and then make the final assembly?

Thanks & regards,
Bostjan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear all,

I would like to thank you for your input even though I have already figured it out by myself. I have made a new assembly where wing half is one of the components and have simply used central bracket (a new component) to properly position it. One of the new part planes is also used as a reference to »trim« the central part of the wing using split command. I have used symmetry command on the initial wing half “component” to get a complete wing.

I am not sure what this has to do with anything but yes, this exercise it is mostly for training purposes.

I do have another question ... I have assigned a material & surface texture (external *.jpg file) to every part of the original component, however when I select »shading with material« the created symmetrical part will not show it. Any idea why and is there a quick solution to this?

Thanks & regards,
Bostjan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back