Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with CSA S304.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanL

Mechanical
May 24, 2012
CA
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post, so if it is in the wrong place, or violates any rules, please just send me in the right direction. :)

I work for a forensic engineering firm, and am reviewing a practicing engineer's remediation work. In their work they reference (I quote)"CSA Standards: Engineered Masonry Design Manual S304.1 paragraph 13.3.3". The context of their work is support and deflection limits for external masonry veneer. The engineer proceeds to specify deflection limits of supporting structures.

When I go to CSA standard S304.1-04 (December 2004), paragraph 13.3.3 has to do with partial prestressing of prestressed masonry, and nothing to do with veneer at all. My questions are:

1) Am I looking at something completely wrong? I am unfamiliar with these codes and am a mechanical EIT to boot.
2) Is the reaffirmed 2010 version significantly different?
3) He says "design manual", is this a supplementary guide, or the standard itself?

I hope this is enough information, if you require more, please let me know.

Thanks!
Jordan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

S304.1(94) deals with Structural Backing for Unit Masonry Veneer... might be it the wrong code reference. I don't have my other codes handy... but it may be this reference. I'll check the codes between 94 and current.

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back