Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help With Excel (Guy Wire Properties)

Status
Not open for further replies.

buns1

Electrical
Sep 25, 2002
US
I am looking for help on setting up excel. I need to write a program that will select guy wire properties based on the size of the wire I input into a cell. For Example if I type in 3/8" BS or 3/8" EHS wire, based on whether or not the wire is bs or ehs it will input the correct properties of the wire. I have basically a database of several sizes of wires and properties, but I cannot figure out how to get excel to search these properties and select the correct properties of wire based on the size I input into a cell. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be helpful.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are the properties dependent on size, or are they the same for all sizes of bs wire and the same for all sizes of ehs wire? By the way, what do bs and ehs stand for?

yes the properties are dependent on the size. BS is for bridge strand, and EHS is for extra high strength. The tensile properties are greater for bridge strand.

buns1
I would recommend setting up a table of the appropriate properties and using the VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP and INDEX functions as suggested above. IF(x=y,A,B) will also serve you well although it can be a bit tedious sometimes, and then you could put your definite vales in cells A and B.

I'm not sure how much information you need to retrieve or how your calculations are done but one of the aspects of guys which you could consider is that the properties change in the tables because they become modified by the rope fill factor (relation between the circumscribed area and the true metal area). For calculations based on the true metal are, many of the apparent properties become constant. You could look into that as as an option in your calcs.
[smile]
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back