Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with new tire design

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigma38

Aerospace
Apr 10, 2007
US
I have a project where I need a custom sized tire similar to an ATV tire or a turf tire. Nothing else is out there that will fit my exact needs and I would like to get a tire built. Can any of you help me answer some basic engineering questions for pneumatic tire design? I've searched for online sources but haven't had a lot of luck.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok, to start... if I have a target speed requirement and load capability requirement where do I begin for material allowables, etc for determining how many plies I need. Are there industry standard tables or specs I can point to?

Here's the way it works:

Speed and load carrying capacity are definitely needed information.

You also need to supply the basic kind of service the tire is involved in. As well as dimensional constraints.

But allow the tire manufacturer to design the tire - number of plies, ply material, etc. They are the experts.

Yes there are standard tables. In the US, it's called the Tire and Rim Association (TRA) Yearbook. You can buy one through the TRA - $50 I think,

But why not explain what you are trying to accomplish. Perhaps there is something existing - or perhaps it is not possible. After all, we tire engineers are bound by the laws of physics!

sigma38,

The best advice I can give you is to let a tire manufacturer design the tire.

You will need to supply the type of service, the loading on the tire, the dimensional restraints, the speed, minimum rim diameter. - well that's just a start.

I think you said the type of service was like an ATV or turf tire. My Tire and Rim book has a section on "Utility Vehicle and Lawn and Garden Tractor" in their "Industrial Tire" section.

The range of sizes is 4.10-4NHS with a 135# load capacity to a 25 X 10.00 -12NHS with a 2055# load carrying capacity.

So I think there is something out there and the best place to start is to contact the tire manufacturer of a tire similar to what you need. It is a whole lot easier to start a design when you have something close, rather than explore new territory.

BTW, tire drawings are by their very nature proprietary. The only "generic" drawing I ever saw was a profile drawing that Ford required as part of the OE submission.

Anybody have a copy of the TRA yearbook from the last few years thatyou'll sell to me? For what I'm doing I really don't need a current copy.

Thanks.

I reviewed the file and it appears that the fancy-schmancy software tries to interpret the printing and didn't translate it well. i think the meaning comes through, but if you have a problem, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back