Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Solid-Shell connection please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas125

Structural
May 9, 2012
DE
Hello,
I thought I finally had a working connection between my solid and my shell area. But the stress results confused me. While investigating I found this:

The grey part is the rendered shell thickness of a pipe. It's using "top surface" for wallthickness assignment. Below the pipe a pipe made of solid-elements is attached.

The upper faces of the connected solid-geometry should also be the faces of shell elements.. For some reason it seems those faces only count as solid elements, therefor no shell-wall-thickness is rendered and you can see through the pipe down to the red solidpipe...can you think of a way to fix that?

Would be very happy about suggestions!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So the problem is that my desired solid/shell part shares a wall.. which is supposed to be shell and solid.. it would be best to have a second wall in exactly the same place and then connect them with a tie/solidshell coupling constraint..

but i fail to be able to copy the face at the moment

It happened because of the way i created the parts. I extended the geometry with the geometry edit tools, thereby using the shellfaces for the construction of solid parts below. If I break the solid parts below down to shells again, I get my inner wall back. But how else do I create the solid elements below? Can I "copy a face"?? So i can use it for the shell and for the solid element at the same time?

Offset face does not seem to bework below a distance of 0.05.
So I could create an offsetface from the solidface, with a distance of 0.05mm. Then solid-to-shell couple those two faces. And tie constrain the newly offsetcreate-shell-face with the surrounding faces?

No matter how I turn it, I always get stress maxima at the places where the shells and the solids connect. Is this at all avoidable? I'm not interested in the stresses at these position, I just don't want them to worsen the results of the remaining model.

Is it not possible to edit posts here?
I created a smaller version of my problem.

Created a 2d shell face. Extruded a Solid cylinder from the face --> The shell area has god a hole in it when shell thickness is visualized.

Here is a version of Shell and Solid coupled by a tie constraint:

To me this seems like the best solution in that case..

if you are very much interested in the stresses at the T-pipe part.. use Solid-Elements and mesh it as one part.

if the you are not very much interested in the stresses, leave shell and solid as two parts, and tie constrain them in the assemble, or use the Edge-to-Face version from the manual instead of face-to-face, as I had in the beginning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back