Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with spec for new Cad Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxJim

Industrial
May 16, 2002
IM
I have been tasked with specifying a new work station
As in the past we have used Dell I went to check out the latest spec
All is well till I get to the Graphics Card my chose is limited to a AMD Radeon or a Nvidia GeForce
I then checked the SolidWorks website and found that neither of these cards is listed!
Is this because the new Dell XPS range is to new?
Any suggestions or which card to go for or do I need to look at other makes of Cad stations

Jim Self
SW11 SP4.0
Dell Precision T7500
Win 7 64bit
6GB Ram
Quaddro FX 4800
dlplimited.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok Found the answer please ignore this stupid question
I was looking on the wrong part of the Dell website
My only excuse is its Friday and its been a long week

Jim Self
SW11 SP4.0
Dell Precision T7500
Win 7 64bit
6GB Ram
Quaddro FX 4800
dlplimited.com

I agree with kellnerp. Lowest end quadro (depending on your assembly size and if your doing rendering) and fastest processor available. The processor is the key.

BTW, my comment was based on statistical analysis of Anna Wood's database which contains over 400 benchmark results. For every processor family this statement holds.

However, there are times when a higher end graphics card may be more productive. If you are doing very large assemblies with transparency a higher end card may give the perception of smoothness during rotations and other activities. It is very hard to benchmark user related speedups so the extra thousand dollars has to be a per user decision.

I was pleased to see a CATI presentation last week on benchmarking in which the presenters found that rebuild time is the single biggest factor in SW performance, bar none. SW2012 bears this out with their Feature Freeze functionality.

CSWP, BSSE
Phenom II x6 1100T = XP64 = 8GB = FX1400 = SW2009 SP3
"Node news is good news."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back