Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmoore

Mechanical
May 16, 2003
CA
Hi everyone,
I have a part that was manufactured improperly, and I need to fix it as quickly as possible. Basically, we had a through drilled through our part that was 1.875" in diameter, and then a from the center of this part out in two directions, the hole was enlarged to 1.90". So basically, starting at one end, you have a Ø1.875" hole for 2.5", then for the next 10" the hole is Ø1.90", then the last 2.5" of the part the hole goes back down to Ø1.875".
Basically the holes on the outside are still Ø1.875&quot;, but the inner part of the hole is < Ø1.875, instead of being Ø1.90&quot;. This part was going to be machined by our parent company that has the capacity to make this kind of cut, but we do not,so we need to find a supplier who is capable of making this cut for us. Do anyone out there know of a company that could make this kind of cut? The closer to Ontario, Canada the better...
Thanks for any suggestions,
Tom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The material is 304 stainless steel. This hole is drilled into the bottom left hand corner of a rectangular part, and this part is 15&quot;x 24&quot; x 6&quot;. Just to clarify, this is a sand cast part, and the hole is not completely drilled, it is just ground to a finish after casting to the dimensions I mentioned in my first post.
Thanks,
Tom

Can it be drilled over size on
one side then c-bored for an
oversize bushing on the same side?
Sounds like a manufacturing
nightmare or poor design.
Second option: drill thru over
size and c-bore both sides for
oversize bushings.
If you can live with 1.875 thru,
you might be able to ball size