Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

helpfull ideas for small signal amplifier please. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroNerd

Electrical
Oct 18, 2008
US
i would like to amplify a 50Hz ac signal with a variable amplitude of anything from aprox 1mV to 25mV peak...why?... i am currently using a hall effect CT to monitor the output current from an ac generator. i get a dc mV signal from the CT that acts as the input to my prototype engine speed controller. the speed of the generator engine is increased at 4 preset increments depending upon the actual load current. i would like to replace the CT. i have been experimenting with a hall effect transistor. when the tr is placed within the magnetic field of the current carrying conductor an ac signal is imposed onto a 2.5V dc carrier voltage. when i decouple i get an ac signal of 2mV output (rms)for 1 amp of load current. the responce is linear and the max load current expected is 10 amps, giving 20mV AC signal. as i need a dc input of around 1 to 10 volts for my controler i want to amplify the ac mV signal to Volts and rectify / smooth as necissary. i know i can use an opamp to give a gain of up to 1000 but i do not want to add a dual polarity power supply to the circuitry. can i use an opamp on a single rail supply to solve my problem, and if so, how? i have spent a few hours tinkering but have not realy got anywhere. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks everyone.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As you're only dealing with AC, you can use an op-amp with a single supply rail, like this:

Use a MOS i/p op-amp like a CA3140 because its input current is lower than a bipolar such as a 741. Connect 2 x 470K resistors in series from Vdd to Vss, and connect their junction to the non-inverting i/p. Couple your i/p to that point with a 100nF capacitor. You will then have your 50Hz signal 'sitting' there at half rail.

Connect a 1M resistor from op-amp o/p to its inverting i/p, and from there connect a 1K resistor in series with a 100uF capacitor to Vss. The 1M/1K gives x 1000 gain and the 100uF gives DC isolation.

At the o/p you will then have your signal x 1000, again with its mean value sitting at half rail. You can then couple it with a 1uF capacitor and fit a resistor (100K?) from that point to Vss to give DC restoration. You can get the peak AC level using a diode and capacitor in the usual way.

For speed control I would use optocoupler. (series R= 100 ohm/V, P=20*V mWatt. Connect the LED into the diagonal of a
diode bridge. Generates 2* freq.
Want sketch? send fax #.
<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

thanks everyone for your ideas. i have now used the idea suggested by pebe and the problem is solved. thanks pebe. thanks eng-tips, great forum. i will be back quite soon i expect.

Hi Pebe,

You mentioned DC restoration in your post. Can you suggest a good book that describes what it is and when it's good to use?

I'm looking for a good book or two that goes beyond the basic op-amp circuit fundamentals and delves into the workings of larger circuits.

Thank you,

Randy

Thank you! I too have been searching the net but lack the experience to know if the books I see cover the topic. Some years ago I used to belong to an engineering book club, but can't remember the name of it. I'd probably re-subscribe if I could find it or another good one.

Thank you again,

Randy

Not sure if the "IC Opamp Cookbook" by a Mr Jung still exists but it's been my reference for years. Not just recipes. All the circuit principles were in it.

pebe,

Thank you for your help. I too used to have a copy of the Op-amp cookbook but must have loaned it to someone and haven't gotten it back. I now have the new IC Op-amp cookbook and active filter cookbook on the way from Amazon.

I think I found the answer I was looking for in an old book about television circuits. I couldn't remember why DC re-insertion was required for some video signals but think I now know why. Boy oh boy, use it or lose it! :)

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back