Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hepa filter leaks....Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

triggt

Mechanical
Jan 2, 2004
CA
I have recenntly become involved in a Hepa filtration project and am having numerous "seal"failures when the units have been installed on site. The filters are equipped with a gel seal and knife edge. These however seem to be the source of the leaks. New gel seals have been installed with improved but similar failures. Are the other factors that can cause these gel seals to fail? Just seaching for ideas as i am out of repair ideas and the manufacture is currently of little help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems obvious - are the camming mechanisms applying adequate/equal pressure on the filter seal all the way around, and are you sure there is no bypass leakage in the sheet-metal enclosure/frame itself?

This is a serious situation that can lead to lawsuit. To limit your firm's liability you must be able to show documentation that you have reviewed the situation & that you hold the manufacturer or contractor at fault (per your finding) and you & the Owner will hold manufacturer or contractor or both strictly liable for any injury, liability, etc arrising from failure of the HEPA filters. Who is the manufacturer? I will keep away from them. The seal is the heart of the HEPA filter! The housing, seal & HEPA filter should be furnished by the manufacturer and quaranteed to be minimim 99.97% efficient. The manufacturer should inspect the installation & instruct the contractor & Owner how to install the filters. So if the seals don't work, chances are it is the fault of the manufacturer. Have your company lawyer write the manufacturer a letter.

Not sure if you have the ability to, but can you reduce your fan some? Slight adjustments might mean all the difference with high pressure drop over the HEPA. But again, be careful as this is not a permanent solution, it is one that can help you to see why the seals aren't holding, where, how long, and how else you might find a solution.

If you have purchased decent quality filter/frames, then the units should have a seal test facility whereby you can apply a pressure across the filter to see if it is holding. We use TROX Ltd who are a German manufacturer although many companies have this facility.

Also, what is the pressure differential across the filter. Once you reach a certain value, i.e. 2" w.g. or 500Pa, you may find that the gel seal will be forced out anyway.

friar tuck of sherwood

Thanx for the help everyone. Our problem ended up being in the diffuser housing. The biggest source of leaks tunred out to be spotwelds made during the construction of the housing. Due to airflow paterns concentrations were occuring along the knife edge. Once the spotwelds were properly sealed there have been no more problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back