Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Here we go again, a Norfolk Southern train derails, only this time it's in Alabama...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRBaker

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2006
US
Another Norfolk Southern train has derailed, this time in Alabama:

Norfolk Southern train derails in Alabama hours before CEO grilled by Congress

This does not look good, not when the CEO is about to testify before Congress.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

The report indicates that 30 cars were involved in the derailment but the claim is that none of them are leaking. They did not say that the cars weren't carrying hazardous material, just that there was no leaks.

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

A statistic that the American rail industry is justly proud of, eh?

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

Perhaps.

Derailments include when a car jumps the track during switching and is rerailed by the crew inside an hour.

Was on the track--not on the track = derailment.

Of the 4 per day, how many are of the above type?

Here's a rerailing of one of the lesser derailments:

spsalso

Regarding spsalso's video...maybe it's just my ignorance of railroad maintenance operations, but isn't it unwise to stand so close to so much 'pent up' energy in a malfunctioning machine?

And this one may be less an operating issue and more track maintenance issue. I don't think the train derailed, the track derailed.

Screenshot_2023-03-09_160815_it8vuv.png

As it is, we missed one

[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article272504491.html#:~:text=About%201%2C000%20derailments%20occur%20every,derailments%2C%20according%20to%20the%20FRA.[/URL]]A freight train derailed in East Palestine, Ohio, causing an explosion that released toxic chemicals into the environment on Feb 3. Since then, derailments have been reported in Texas, South Carolina and Connecticut.

[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article272504491.html#:~:text=About%201%2C000%20derailments%20occur%20every,derailments%2C%20according%20to%20the%20FRA.[/URL]]Broken or defective railroads are one of the most common causes of derailments, according to the FRA. Faulty or missing crossties — beams perpendicular to rails — triggered 5.6% of the derailments in 2022, making it the single largest cause of derailments.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

"Regarding spsalso's video...maybe it's just my ignorance of railroad maintenance operations, but isn't it unwise to stand so close to so much 'pent up' energy in a malfunctioning machine?"

I expect it is very useful to have someone paying close attention to the process. I was thinking that there should have been fewer someones, though. There's not a lot of 'pent up' energy, because velocities are so slow. Things will likely fail in slow motion if they do fail. If'n it was me, however, I'd have my escape route pre-planned.

"And this one may be less an operating issue and more track maintenance issue. I don't think the train derailed, the track derailed."

Yeah, pretty much. Though the train helped out a lot. It looks to me like the rail rolled over. Note how the spikes have been pulled up. I suspect the train put too much of a force vector horizontally at the rail top. My guess would be the train was too long/heavy for the trackage.

There's been a tremendous outbreak of way-long trains in the last few years. Not all of it fully successful.

spsalso

According to the link in IRstuff's post, derailments are down from 6328 in 1975 to 1044 in 2022. So at least some progress?

Would be more concerned if derailments weren't down given technological advancement....

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why yes, I do in fact have no idea what I'm talking about

Just as a 'for what it's worth' moment, over the last few years, seven of the nine Republicans on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, which heard testimony from the Norfolk Southern CEO earlier today, took more than $300,000 in contributions from Norfolk Southern, while four of the 10 Democrats took $75,000. With that in mind, I'm not sure how much will really come from this session, particularly when you consider that the Norfolk Southern CEO refused to commit to any real effort to improve the safety of their rail operations. He seemed to imply that they're already doing everything that they can do to avoid accidents.

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

And when it comes to Congress, we have to put up with this sort of stuff:

Republican Congressman Mike Collins Blames Diversity for Norfolk Southern Train Derailments

The representative from Georgia believes diversity, equity, and inclusion is the real reason for the train derailments.

Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

From your article:
. “This administration’s focus on DEI is forcing private companies to rethink their goals and one has to wonder, was Norfolk Southern’s DEI policies directing resources away from the important things like greasing wheel bearings?"

It doesn't help that the Transportation Secretary Buttigege, shortly after the incident, was on tour saying infrastructure projects are bad because they employ too many white people.

And just in case nobody has noticed, there is currently a grease shortage happening right now.

I am thinking that these roller bearing assemblies are permanently greased, i.e. there is no periodic lubing, unlike the old friction type bearings.

Ok maybe they don't need periodic lubing, but then they will need periodic replacing. Take your pick, you can't have both.
Every device has a life.
Grease shortage? First I heard about that. The local fast lube place seems to not have an issue.

If diversity means training new people, then that is understandable. One would think a new person starts from the bottom job, and works there way up. Most diversity programs require hiring at every level and training for that position.

It does appear that common bearing setups are not field serviceable. Calcium sulfonate greases are used which are not compatible with everybody's favorite "red grease". Too much risk for contamination if serviced in the field.

The funny part is, it's not just the chemicals to make the greases short, one major supplier can't even get the tubes to put the grease in. They can only sell by the pail right now.

"I am thinking that these roller bearing assemblies are permanently greased, i.e. there is no periodic lubing, unlike the old friction type bearings."

Not "friction" I think, but "plain". The descriptive term "friction" was apparently generated by roller bearing companies, so as to make their bearings appear superior (which they pretty much were).

Note that "friction" bearings are still used in most automotive engines (while my Honda motorcycle made about 60 years ago had ball and roller).

spsalso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back