Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hertz Contact Stresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigphikl

Mechanical
Feb 26, 2009
IE
Hi,

I have been trying to model a hemi-cylinder in contact with a brick in 2D, as in the hertz solution for contact stresses.

I fix the bottom of the brick from moving and i apply a pressure to the top of the hemi-cylinder.

But I keep getting two peak tensile stresses at the edge of the contact area.

I am new to Abaqus, and feel as if I am missing something.

Does anybody know how I can get rid of these peaks and get the proper hertz solution.

Any help is much appreciated,
Philip.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It appears to be related to the mesh. Use symmetry conditions on the mid-line and halve your model, and then refine the mesh at the contact point. You can also define your contact condition twice, reversing master and slave surfaces, so that no surface can pass through another.

corus

Thanks for your help.

I'll try halving my model and applying symmetry conditions and hopefully that'll help. I'll let you know.

I really don't think it's a mesh problem though, as the mesh is very fine at the contact, and it is perfect quads.

The cylinder (slave) mesh is far more refined than the brick (master), so I don't think the surface are passing into each other. I am not particularly concerned with the stresses in the brick.

I'll let you know how I get on,
Thanks

Hi there,
Is there anyone who can help in using abaqus for a roller bearing simulation?
I used a bearing portion with one ball and inner outer collar segments; with increased mesh size I got non converging results.
Any idea?
Many thanks
Bob

Well.. the deformed shape of the brick seems a little coarse to me. You may have hour glassing too, which I think you can get rid of by not using the reduced integration element, or is it vice versa?

corus

Hi!
Maybe you can attached cae file. I've made such type of analysis. You should get such stress distribution:

There are 2 main theories about "hard contact"
1. Hertz theory
2. Bielajew's theory

In a nutshell...First says that maximum stress value should be in area of contact. Second says that maximum stress values are a little bit shifted from contact area.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back