Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hexmesh in Femap

Status
Not open for further replies.

automechanicar

Mechanical
Nov 28, 2007
NL
Hi,

Almost everytime I try to hexmesh solids in Femap I get this massege:

"Solid can not be meshed. Either Meshes on lateral surfaces are not fully mapped or base and top surface meshes do not match."

This also happens often when I try to mesh relatively simple goemtries, like cylinders.

The tetmesh works fine. What's causing these problems with the hexmesh? Does any one know?

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have also antoher question.

How to define material properties for differen solids? If I have two solid which are different materials, how to specify these materials? I am only able to assign on single material to all solids I have in my model.

Thanks!

Hi

The first question sounds lika you are trying to mesh between two surfaces that doesn't match. If you are trying to mesh between two surfaces you have to make sure that the mapping on them are the same. For example 3x3 elements.

The second question: You need two solid properties associated with two different materials.

Good Luck

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your comments. But how can I than make sure the mapping on all surfaces is the same? The program does not even specify which surfaces are having a problem.

And if I assign different materials (and properties) to different parts, how can I verify that the materials are indeed assigned as they should? For example, in MSC Mentat different colors are related to different materials, so you can easily see which elements have which material.

Hi

The method I mentioned is based on meshing between two surfaces, top and bottom. So they shouldn't be to difficult to find, compare and match. When you say "all" surfaces it sounds lika several surfaces so I don't understand the problem, sorry. More info and I'll be happy to try.

I don't know MSC Mentat but changeing colours in Femap is easy. In all the "Material" or "Properties" boxes there is a Color selection. Then you select the Color mode in View-Options-Elements.

Good Luck

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

The part on materials is clear now. Thanks a lot.

About hexmeshing:
You probably mean a "pair of surfaces", thus two surfaces instead what wrote earlier. The problem is that Femap does indicate which pair of surfaces has a problem when trying to mesh. Is there a way to visaulize surfaces with mesh problems?

And you are writing about "matching" surfaces. Do you mean by this, that both surfaces should be seeded in the same manner, so a continous mesh can be generated?

Kind regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back