Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi ALL, can a FPBW in plate also 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSRED

Structural
May 26, 2020
GB
Hi ALL,
can a FPBW in plate also qualify you for a fillet Weld 15614_1 my understanding is that it would be two separate tests

Thanks for your time

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree. Don't forget ISO standards, where we have our very own pile of abbreviations. Yes, Europe is represented here, albeit by a minority.

gtaw said:
How many of you know what a “dry pass” weld is?

Curious now. Please, do enlighten us...

I'll give it some time and then I'll tell you what a "dry pass" weld is to that one engine manufacturer. Since you aren't familiar with the term, would you like to hazard a guess?

Which of the following is the correct term?
welding helmet or welding hood
ground clamp or work piece connector
ground cable or work cable (lead)
inner shield electrode or self shielded flux cored electrode
gas shielded flux cored electrode or outer shield electrode
3G or vertical groove position
flat groove position or 1G
partial joint penetration or complete joint penetration
complete joint penetration groove weld or partial joint penetration groove weld
Is it a T-joint or is it a fillet weld? (Confused? So was I)
Is the fillet weld a partial penetration weld or does the fillet weld have to be complete joint penetration weld or is the fillet weld expected to be fused to the joint root?

I could go on for days. I find it interesting that many of us have become so familiar with slang terminology that we don't even recognize is as such. As professionals, do we have a responsibility to make an effort to use the correct terminology or is that some other Egghead's job? The slang even creeps into some of our standards. The typical response is, "Everyone knows what we mean." My response is, "Really?" They should visit a few of our forums sometime.

Best regards - Al

A guess: dry, as in no filler added?

Welding helmet
I guess work piece connector, as there is no "ground" in the secondary circuit of a welding machine.
Work cable, for the same reason
FCAW-S (self shielded)
FCAW-G (Gas shielded)
No idea, keep in mind we have our own position designations (PA, PB, ...)
Don't know, but I can deduce what a FPBW in reality is.
There is a difference in ISO: T joints are to be completely welded. As opposed to a double sided (either beveled or straight) fillet weld

I differentiate between a groove weld and a fillet weld as follows:

A fillet weld goes on the joint, a groove weld goes in the joint.

A fillet weld is expected to be fused to the root, but not necessarily beyond the root. This so we can determine the theoretic throat dimension to calculate the strength of the fillet weld. If the fusion of the fillet weld does not extend to at least the root, the theoretic throat dimension is shorter than what is assumed in the strength calculations. Oops, there goes another structure!

What I am leading up to is, "What is a completely welded T-joint?" Seriously, what is meant?

Best regards - Al

My interpretation would be (depending on thickness) one or both sides of the "top" plate bevelled so that all contact between both plates is fused. See attached picture for an example of what I mean (bottom part is a large round bar in the picture, but think of it as a thick plate in this context).

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3bec2f4f-7784-41da-9a91-993f99a34463&file=26749-01-01-Nital_cropped.jpg
Hi all well I have to admit I have stated something in a different manner to what we all have different understanding of but I have learnt something from this as gtaw has stated it is best to stick to the standard terminology instead of slang werds

Thanks

Without doubt the most egregious example in the welding marketing world is CMT or Cold Metal Transfer, from a company who shall remain nameless.

Personally, I like my metal transfer to be hot, extremely hot. Silly marketing confections like CMT suggest to me some deep-rooted techno-psychological issue, and have the effect of warning me off.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Cold metal transfer, yup, with you on that one! Leave it to the marketeers to set their product apart from the rest of the herd and scare the smart customers into the arms of their competition.

So, back to you KingNero. What you illustrate with the photomacrograph appears to be something a little less than a complete joint penetration groove weld. I do see some incomplete penetration in the root, thus it is not complete joint penetration. The red arrow is pointing to dark line that appears too straight and true to be a crack and it appears to exhibit some incomplete fusion to the left side.

On the correct terminology, not bad my friend! And yes, the dry pass is an autogenous weld.

To say "Step inside any shop" as justification for certain terminology would put us all back into the days of huge reptiles and other scary thing that could gobble us up in the blink of an eye! Let's say the terminology is imprecise and leave it at that.

Best regards - Al

Al,
I am on a B31.3 committee and we are currently considering a ballot related to Lack of Fusion and Lack of Penetration.
I have tried to point out to fellow committee members that our code references AWS 3.0 for terminology and both those terms are considered "non-standard" (slang) terms.
Incomplete Fusion and Incomplete Penetration are the correct terminology.
If we, as the code creators cannot get it right then it makes it pretty damn hard for the actual users of the code.
Cheers,
Shane

Amen to that brother.

I sit on a several of AWS committees and get to review many AWS standards. It is amazing how often nonstandard terms are used and get overlooked during the review process. We get so used to seeing and hearing those terms that they don't register when we read them.

I remember reviewing one of the ASME's construction codes a few years ago so I could include any revisions in one of my courses. They referred to AWS A3.0 in two places, but in each case they referenced a different edition. Nothing we humans create is perfect. I try to keep that in mind when working with a code, but there are cases where, well, there's just no damn justifiable excuse, thus we have the "Farm Code".

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back