Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi Forum members, We experienced a 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The fish bone chart looks like fishbones that includes the spine with all the little bones branching off. The possible causes of the failure would be listed by the little bones. One possible cause per bone. As mention, each cause would be considered and those not plausible struck off. It is a process of elimination to reduce the number of causes that need to be investigated further.

Some of these inquiries remind me of the old "Paul Harvey" radio show. I keep waiting to "hear the rest of the story".

Best regards - Al

like a check list...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Fishbone diagrams (that is what you are really referring to) are used in FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis) as a detailed root cause failure analysis technique. This sort of evaluation is typically exhaustive because it considers every possible cause no matter how likely or unlikely.

As for this failure, this really needs a metallurgical evaluation first to identify failure mechanism and possible causes. We really cannot understand anything without getting that work done first.

Fishbone or herring bone charts are also used in manufacturing to identify all of the manufacturing steps required to get a product out of the door. Every time a product or process is identified it is added to one of the bones. The head of the fish is the final product.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

I have seen straight-line cracks/fractures like this when a hole pattern was 'laid-out' using a tool-steel scribe with a needle sharp tip. Also I am assuming the 'free-edge' is 'up' somewhere nearby in the image... and I'll take a swing: the free-edge is NOT reinforced [stiffened/strengthened].

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

For sugar centrifugal machines,a pure Nickel basket is preferred. Rarely, we see stainless steel baskets used. I know, as this is an important source of pure Ni scrap for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back