Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hi, I am looking for a kind of glass 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mabrouk92

Civil/Environmental
Aug 30, 2019
US
Hi, I am looking for a kind of glass that has a high transparency (as high as possible to transfer heat) and at the same time I need it to be capable of affording a vehicle load. I have no experience in this field. I just think that as the thickness of the sheet goes bigger, its transparency will go down. Thus, I need something that could be as transparent as possible and could afford vehicle loads at the same time. The dimensions of the glass sheet could be 0.5 * 0.5 m but if it could be wider, that's better.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure to use Unobtanium 42. Accept no substitute.

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Modelmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

Hey, don't forget cost... Regular ol' aluminum has already been dismissed as "too expensive". α-Al2O3 is out of this world... Unless you can get a piece so transparent that nobody sees you carry it out of the place that is.

Abrasion alone will kill the clarity in a few hours. Then you can crush the glass into aggregate and put it in the asphalt patch you'll need.

A Great Place For Engineers to Help Engineers

Follow me there.....

Just regular tempered and laminated soda lime float glass can take huge structural loads. Its as strong as aluminum. If you use a structural interlayer its basically composite with the other plies. We used it in times square to carry fire truck loads for lighted pavers.

I imagine those lighted pavers are relatively small... 6"x6", maybe?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Macgyver:
Actually i'm remembering these got value engineered out of our project at the last minute (whoops!), but they were designed to be approx 18"*72" and 2.5" thick. They span across the short dimension. From memory the axle load of a fire truck was like 50,000lb. We have done a ton of glass floors though, and even a glass slide 70 stories up. One of the biggest challenges as alluded to above is the scratch resistance, though there are solutions.

DSC_0176_qthorg.jpg

This is a test we did for a project a few years ago. At the base of this image is a piece of glass 3ft * 6ft * 1.25" thick, and each of these bags hanging from the forklift is filled with sandbags, approx 2500lb each. The sandbags used less than 20% of the structural capacity of the glass.

The little hydraulic jack at the bottom applies lateral loads of approx 5000lb.

I imagine that the picture showing a load test by using a forklift made me think that there are banks and various tellers of small businesses that stay late at nights that uses glass which are bullet resistant for protection. That is a path that may help you.

Brave guy, no safety glasses on.

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Modelmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

Last month I was standing on the glass floor of the Seattle Space Needle. That glass floor is really really thick.
There are various "skywalks" in Canada, China, probably a bunch more in the USA which would serve as examples of glass structures that must support a considerable load.

The ASTM for glass floors is actually the best written code I have ever come across, primarily on account of its brevity. ASTM E2751

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back